Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 17 rear crossbar/hull damage question  Bottom

• I am looking at a used 17 - one owner. Where the rear crossbar fits into the hull, there is a knuckle on the outboard portion of the hull. It appears that the gelcoat on the knuckle was compromised an water seeped into the cracks. The water froze and cracked the hull in about a 2" diameter spot, directly on that knuckle. Is this something to worry about. The gentleman has been sailing the cat for several years in this condition and says it is a cosmetic issue only. Any assistance you can provide will be very helpful.
  • The answer is: it depends. It's probably cosmetic.

Nevertheless, it's relatively easy yo fix.
  • If there is a 2" hole then there is a problem. This area is very 'structural'. I would just try to twist the hull or the cross bar to see if it moves. Or on second thought, you should disassemble the whole connection to inspect it. Post photo.
  • I have images and would like to post them, but can't figure out how. Little Help? icon_confused

the images are now posted in the Technical Help Gallery.

edited by: hobieNK, Mar 17, 2008 - 09:16 AM
  • Yes, I see. I have never seen that kind of damage. Usually it is just gel coat stress fractures. Did the owner say how this happened? I would take apart the connection to look inside. And even if it looked ok, unless the rest of the boat is perfect, this is a parts boat, $500. If sails and rigging are good, give'em $1000. IMHO
  • oh, I see in your first post, Ice freezing caused problem. Is that the only bad spot?
  • The rest of the boat is in pristine condition. It is the only bad spot on the boat and he has sailed it in this condition for several years. I did purchase - $700 - and will have the damage repaired professionally. Thanks for input!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.