Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Okay guys I need some help here....  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I have had this Nacra out a bunch of times now and it is tons of fun. I live inland here in East tennessee and winds are less than impressive most days. Today I went for a sail with my wife on the 5.2 and had a good time in some Reasonable winds. I got a couple questions...

We have to put the boat in at a typical concrete boat launch ramp. You know back your trailer down and then unload the boat and then park your vehicle and trailer, run to the boat and get it out on the water without pissing off everyone else waiting in line to put their boat in. Well this time luckily it is monday and most people are working so we did not have to worry about that. I am curious as to what you guys do in this situation. We got the tip to NOT take down the shrouds and trap lines just lower the mast and then coil everything up on the tramp and tie it down. We did this and packing up the boat went MUCH quicker so thanks for that. However, I still had to carefully raise the mast with my new trailer winch setup which is MUCH easier than before and my wife just cranks it up while I steady it until the shrouds come tight. I Usually put the jib and mainsail up but leave the mainsail unhooked from the boom so it does not blow the damn boat off the trailer. I leave the jib as loose as possible so it mostly just kinda flaps around a bit. Then we usually back down the trailer and TRY to control the boat in the water by hand until I can get the trailer out from under it and park it. This time we had quite a bit of wind and had trouble keeping it still while I parked the trailer and we managed to get it out of the longish channel between the boat dock piers and onto the end of the pier where we tied it off and then hooked the sails back up and sailed away. I am wondering do you guys usually raise your mainsail once out on the boat in the water or do you do it on the trailer like I have been? I realize this is a bit dangerous but we keep the boat strapped to the trailer and the main unhooked until we are ready to make off. What is the best way to do this? Do you guys use bumpers to keep the boat off the piers and safe from getting scratched up? I realize a lot of you guys put in on the beach but that has it's own issues....

We actually had a great day out on the lake today with good wind and nice weather. The other thing that is annoying me is that while this boat seems to go pretty fast for the amount of wind here I cannot seem to get it to float a hull? Today I seriously thought it was a done deal with the wind we had, it was supposed to be 8 knots constant gusting to 10 knots.... I know that is not exactly gale force but the boat sure seems to go pretty fast it just will not totally lift the hull....

I know I goofed up on something that may have caused the issue today and that is that when I repaired my rudder system after the rivets on the tie bar broke with new stainless steel fasteners I accidentally put the rudders on the wrong side of the boat and they have a slight dogleg in them that basically had them not pointing straight back rather a bit to the side. I am quite sure this slowed us down considerably but there was a few times that the wind really peaked and we ALMOST flew a hull. Do you think that the rudder issue would cause us to not be able to float a hull? I am always praying for nice weather and good wind for sailing on these lakes but it can be very tricky out there. You will be cruising along hauling butt pretty good and then absolutely nothing.... I am quite sure it has to do with the hills and mountains around here but it seems to never be consistent. I BOUGHT this boat so I could FLY a hull and I have yet to be able to.... This time we went when the kids were in school so there was a bit less weight on the boat just me and my wife so if it was gonna fly it should have today. I tried everything to get it trimmed out and played with the mast rotation and everything but no dice. Kinda frustrating really because with as much wind as was out there today I thought for sure it would fly... The jib looked great and the main was really pushing hard and the hull WANTED to fly a couple times. What kind of wind does it usually take for you guys to fly your hull?

Anyways, not whining here we had a great time and the boat really gets across that lake pretty good but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong here... peace

Pete
  • Not sure about the small channel and such but my nacra 5.2 doesn't fly a hull as fast as an F18 would. A lot depends on your boat and crew weight.
    Mine flies a hull with 200 pounds (98Kg) from about 3-4 Bft ( 12 Mph). You could get the crew to sit on the low side, that would normally help if you are desperate to fly a hull.
    I'd fix the rudders or sail with only the lee rudder down in the mean time. Misaligned rudders literally suck!

Dennis
  • I can't help with trailer launching; I always sail from a grass or sand beach.
    Having the rudders on backwards is a big drag and will greatly hurt performance.
    Small inland lakes almost always have fluky winds and are tough to sail on.
    Like Dennis said, send your crew leeward and forward but tell them to be ready to come back windward.
    Where in TN are you located?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I am in Maryville, just south of Knoxville. Yeah I am quite sure I screwed myself with the misaligned rudders on the boat today. They have only been that way since the last time we went out since the little screw/rivet that used to go thru the rudder arms cracked on me. I bought some nice stainless steel fasteners that seemed to work great on this trip were it not for the fact that I have the left rudder on the right side and the right rudder on the left side. I will fix that before the next outing you can bet on that. I know that even with my wife and my 225 lb self on the windward side it NEARLY flew a hull today, if it had the rudder situation right it may have done just that.... I am really interested to hear about how you guys that put the boat in on a trailer on the boat ramps work things. It is a little scary to put in on these ramps for me since I have not done this before. The boat with sails up and unhooked or luffed real bad just wants to blow everywhere and I am worried that if I get it out on the water I will have a problem getting the mainsail up or the damn halyard will break like it did on my second trip. Do any of you guys lube the mainsail where it goes into the mast? I put some wax in that groove and it works much better but I think that if I used some kinda sail safe lube on it things would go even better. So far putting in with the sail relaxed and loose has worked okay but it would be much easier if the boat had no way to make any power to move until I want it to. I think the next time I go out I will just put up the jib and leave it unhooked and then put the boat in. Then I will get it on the end of the dock and raise the mainsail and hook up the jib and make off....

I see you are in MS.. I am planning to move back to florida once we get a couple more to do items done on our home and get it sold. I love it here but I miss Florida and the beach and friends down south...

Appreciate the kind tips guys...peace

Pete
  • This is how I launch both my Hobie 18 and Nacra 20 in New Orleans from a standard boat launch.

1. First park the boat in the parking lot where you have enough room to lay the mast down behind the boat. make all of the connections and then lift the mast. Get the rudders on and everything you need except the sails.
    2. Go to Sports Academy and buy some boat fenders. These are rubber things that go on side of the boat to protect it from the pier at boat launch. Tie them on the side of the boat that is going to be next to the pier.
    3. Tie a rope on to the back of the boat and another to the front of the boat. Leave the back rope disconnected but have it stretched out to the front of boat or hand both ropes to your wife.
    4. Back the boat into the water. If your wife has the ropes she can just pull the boat off.....if not....tie the front rope to the front of your trailer and back down until boat floats off and then pull up. The boat will not go anywhere because you have it tied to the front of the trailer. Stop your truck, walk back and untie the rope and use it along with the rope that is tied to the back to navigate it to the side of the pier and tie it off. Go park truck.
    5. Point the boat into the wind......this may be a little tricky since the wind may not be coming parallel to the pier. I usually take up the entire lane when I do this. It will be so much easier for you since you have your wife there to help. Keep the boat into the wind by tieing it in place or your wife, and then raise the main sail. I forgot to mention you should already have the jib on..you can install that while it is in the parking lot. Roll it up with roller furling....or leave it completely lose if you do not have one.
    6. Once the sail is up.........push off and start sailing. Do not try and walk in the water because it is usually very slipper........you can do everything you need to do from the pier.
    7. When you come in from sailing.......it can be a little tricky......you have to sail around other motor boats, and time it just right for when no one is at the pier / launch. You will need those boat fenders again. Tie them to the side of the boat that is going to end up on the pier.......and then sail up to it....throw rope around the pier and stop your boat.......if there is room you can turn the boat up wind to stop......but that is very dangerous because you may drift backwards to the pier and break your rudder.........once again.......this is where your wife comes in. She can throw the rope over the peir.....if you trust her, because if you miss, you will run the boat up into the concrete.

I have launched from any boat launches and I feel it is a pain in the A$$ !!! I only do it when there is no other choice. It is a two person job but can be done by one if you are smart. I drive three hours to launch my boat in Ocean springs because I can launch from the beach and not have to worry about being stressed out.

I hope this helps.
  • Peace Pete,

perhaps I can help out here, most of the lakes I sail are very sailboat un-friendly, concrete ramps, metal floating docks, rocks everywhere. the most important info I can share is to know your lake area, drive the lake, check out all public access ramps, how they are setup and most important how they are located/oriented as to wind direction. As much as possible, when putting your cat in, you want it facing into the wind, so wind direction dictates where I will put in, and 95% of the time, I raise my mainsail on the boat while it is strapped to the trailer. Only when wind is blowing hard and at 90* to my put in, will I then leave my mainsail reefed on the tramp, to be raised after I park truck and trailer.

Public Access Ramps are just that, access for the public, and most of the ramps are wide enough for 3-4 trailers side by side. If the ramp you plan to use for the day gets busy, just make sure to get there early, I pull up onto the ramp, out of the way on one side, facing into the wind, and setup my P18, I have a roller furling jib so no worries there, I raise my mainsail and make sure my main sheets have enough slack so that if a gust swirls in from one side, the boom is not restricted. When boat is ready, I get myself ready, harness, life-jacket, water, etc, only when I am completely satisfied everything is ready, do I back the boat into the water, and only release the hold-downs at the last minute. Once again, wind direction dictates you want to be on the leeward side (down wind) of floating jetty, I use one of the many long bungees I carry to secure cat to jetty which has horn cleats, I prefer to use a bungee because its quick and easy, I can secure bungee to tramp lacing, and I can also use it to secure mainsail when I drop it, I make sure there is tension on the bungee to pull boat against the rubber bumper on floating jetty.

Then it's a mad dash to park truck and trailer, lock truck and run back to jetty hoping wind has not sideswiped the sails and put boat onto rocks, metal, concrete, etc. I walk my cat out to end of the jetty, give it a gentle push and step on the tramp, I grab the tiller extension in 1 hand, and push boom/sail into wind, this causes my cat to "back up" and I steer her as she moves backwards untill I'm far enough away from the jetty, then I use "opposite rudder" to swing the bows across the wind, sheet in, take off.

It does not always go to plan, but I don't let irate "motorheads" bother me, I always think of the "what if" scenario and try to plan accordingly, just remember this, any idiot can drive a power boat, but it takes skill and planning to sail. If the day calls for 15-20 mph winds, plan to get there early when the wind is still 5-8 mph, but then plan to drop your sail when returning to ramp when winds are 15-20 mph and paddle in, and do all of the above in reverse....... icon_cool

Hope this helps
    Turbo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Thanks Delahune and turbo,
    Those are pretty much what I expected to hear about how to best do this. It is really kinda scary to put the boat in at the boat launches around here as they are always crowded and as you mentioned concrete and rocks and little if any rubber bumpers on anything. I definitely need to get those fenders because I noticed today I managed to scratch the side of my boat a little on that damn concrete pier.. Oh well I am gonna refinish it anyways soon.

I think the next time I am gonna do the raise only the jib sail thing and attempt to raise the mainsail on the tramp at the end of the pier. I already have a tending line on the front of the main beam but I do not have another at the back. I am gonna make one tonight and get it setup as this is good medicine for being able to control the boat from the pier. I also like the idea that my wife can pull the boat off the trailer because we are usually down in the water doing that ourselves. I think this will work well for what we are doing...

I usually do not let the other boaters bother me but occasionally they can get kinda pushy and that really pisses me off because it is hard enough to get the boat in the water and ready safely as it is. Most people are kind and I get a lot of nice comments on the boat. I think that I will try some of these other ideas posted here the next time around. Peace

Pete
  • I have never raised the main in the parking lot. I wouldn't dare on the calmest of days. One day it was so windy that after raising the jib before connecting it to the jib sheets, such that it fashioned a flag we were flying a haul on the trailer. I jumped aboard to bring her back down. And as for riggings, I just drop the mast toss the daggers on top of the lose ropes and cables strap it down and I'm off. From turning into the parking lot to pushing off the pier I'm a 25 min operation

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Pete, buy 2 bumpers, about 15" long, 6" diameter,get the better quality ones, they are softer than the cheapies, & will last for years.
    Almost every sail I do is off my dock, & I tie to the dock for lunch. I use 3/16" line on each fender, & tie them to the top hole of the dogbones. Depending on the dock/your particular boat, it may work better to hang one from the bridle wire, or the rear beam. (I mounted a ring on one beam strap bolt) I also have a short line on the bottom end of the fender. I usually leave them on my dock, but if time is short, & wind light, I just pull them on board, & use the tail line to secure the other end of the fender to the tramp hiking straps. This works fine if you are not on the wire. I went out for an hour yesterday with my wife, she used the fender as a pillow for a nap, yeah I know not exactly an exuberant crew, but what the hell, the wind maxed at 8 mph, we never even changed sides during tacks, & could fly a hull with her on the lee side.
    I never raise the main til secured to the dock. I rarely have the wind head on, mostly 45* from the starboard side. As long as the sail doesn't hit the shrouds, it won't generate any power, this gives you a "free sail" for about 140* of wind direction. By turning the boat facing back into shore, you are good for almost all wind direction.
    With the sail close to, or on the shrouds, the battens catch on the shouds, it helps to have your wife hold the sail back til they clear. I use the mast rotator to line the mast up with the wind, this makes raising the sail easier in higher winds. I run a boomless N5.7, & leave the S hook out of the sail til ready to push off.
    The jib can be a real pain in strong winds, as it is either pulling power when tring to line up with the dock, or flogging itself to death. Furling is the fix, especially if the water is more than waist deep at the dock. It is very difficult for your wife to keep it held dead into the wind while you get rid of the jib, then have her walk it into the dock in chest deep water. I converted to furling, & it simplified things by several magnitudes. Before you reach the dock, furl, then loosen the main sheet and/or travel out to dump most of the power. Once you get the hang of it, quite often you can pull up to the dock at almost zero speed & step off onto the dock. The onlookers relly think you are a pro. just be sure to have your fenders out, & dock lines ready.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 16, 2011 - 02:40 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks for the tips again guys,
    I am gonna definitely pick up some fenders too. They are a real necessity. I WISH my boat had a roller furler on it. I do not even know how to use one but it sure would be nice to be able to put the jib away without taking it down. The Main sail I can work with in fact the situation you just described where I pulled into the pier and luffed off the power with the mainsail and had my wife just step off onto the dock and tie the boat up is exactly what happened yesterday after we were done sailing. Only problem is there was nobody there to see it!! I can actually get the boat to do what I want to most days but the winds here are so varied that it can get difficult. For instance the place we put the boat in yesterday is kind of a new place for me and there is a short channel that leads out to the main body of water we were sailing on that is pretty blocked off from trees and hills and I honestly was worried we would be rowing with the rudders to get back down into the dock. Luckily there was enough light wind that we could make for the dock at albeit a pretty slow pace. I also think I need to pick up a collapsible oar to put on the boat because the wind here is just that unpredictable. I think had my darn rudders been on there right we would have had much better speed and probably control. I noticed right away that the rudders were throwing a sort of rooster tail when we were really screaming along with the wind at it's peak. That is not normal and I also noticed a lot more water noise from the back of the boat. Really bummed me out because the wind tracker website I use predicts little to no wind for at least a week now.

Anyone else put their boat in on a trailer off a boat ramp? I agree that raising the mainsail on the trailer is less than desirable and possibly dangerous but I am just kinda leery of trying to raise it out on the water.. Peace

Pete
  • Have not done it yet but I will need to eventually. My closest body of water has that type of launch and I have yet to sail there because of it. It also has a narrow 90 degree dog leg to get in and out of the marina that could be tricky in higher winds.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Hi Pete

I don't need to launch often, but when I do, I usually raise the jib on the trailer, fasten the sheets and tie it off real well (poor mans roller furling). My Nacra has a zippered luff and is a real pain to raise from the dock, leaning over the boat, Etc. Main goes up on the dock. With fluky winds like you describe, I would be nervous about having the main up at all while on the trailer. Whole lot easier for your wife to control while you're parking the car as well. Do this stuff long enough, and eventually your "worst case" scenario WILL happen - best to prepare for it.

On the subject of worst case scenarios - be really, really careful anytime you leave the car to help push the boat off the trailer. lots of folks have found out the hard way about bad parking brakes, slipping transmissions, Etc. I chock the wheel every time "just in case." That worst case scenario thing again....

For sure, get a paddle!. Long canoe paddle - you can strap it anywhere. Honestly, I've thought about getting oars from time to time (I used to have a Tartan 30 with big 'ol sweeps I'd use to row out of crowded anchorages). Bet I could row my 5.7 up to 6 knots or so. Once you've had to dog paddle home 2 miles when the wind drops to nothing you'll never go out again without one.

Cb
  • QuoteI also think I need to pick up a collapsible oar

My wife bought me one, international orange, floats, & collapses down to about 18". It was only $14. Tried it out last week, way better than sculling with rudders, in dead calm you can actually paddle pretty well.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 16, 2011 - 01:47 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Hey ed,
    Where did you get it? Thanks for the info...peace

Pete
  • Came from a small sail shop up here in Canada. The guy won a gold medal at the Olympics sailing Tornado's, so he knows Cats, & stocks good stuff.
    I'll be back at the lakehouse on Thurs, I'll find out the company that made it, hopefully you can source something similiar down there.
    Basically the handle has 3 sections that telescope out. They lock with a twist, like the hiking sticks. I

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks Ed,
    I need to get a paddle on the boat and some fenders just to keep it looking pretty. This old boat has enough scratches on it already....

I am gonna try to get out there today and swap my rudders back to the correct orientation and maybe take it out again this weekend. Here's hoping for some nice stiff steady winds for everyone...peace

Pete
  • The paddle I have is a Kwik Tek Telescoping Paddle. Sports Authority carries them for $15.99:

http://www.sportsauthorit…ex.jsp?productId=1026768

Sounds similar to Ed's. It's come in very handy on more than one occasion.

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • Sweet man, when I get paid this week I will order one up from them. Good price too... Thanks for the link.

I just got a bid put in on a nice side job and if I get it I should have some spare cash to put into the boat after it is done. I want to get some new shrouds and forestay lines as well as get my trapeze all rigged up right. I may also buy the gelcoat for the boat at that time too. We are really enjoying the boat and when the wind is blowing good it sure is fun. Just wish again that I was back down in florida where the wind seemed to always be blowing. This cat would be a real blast in the intercoastal waterway or out on the ocean on good days... damn I need to get this house sold....oh well, it will happen when the good lord wants it to right. peace

Pete
  • Yes, that is the same one I have.
    http://www.sportsauthorit…ex.jsp?productId=1026768
    http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p674723reg.jpg

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I keep 2 strapped under my tramp. Canadian Tire has them also... ;)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.