Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Towing an inflatable tube.  Bottom

• Does anyone know if I may tow my 7 year old on an inflatable tube? Has anyone done this? and if so, where do I hitch it to a Prindle 16?
    Thanks
  • I've seen someone ski behind a cat so you could probably tow someone. That is always on a lark to prove the point, and the skier usually only gets up briefly. Not sure if I would recommend it.

The only way you could do it would be to attach the line to 2 points on the rear beam, likely just inboard of the hulls. The rear beam isn't really designed for that type of force though. It also likely won't be much of a ride. Those tubes cause a LOT of drag, especially the newer couch style ones. If you could get the thing to plane you would need a power boat to get back, tacking with someone in tow sounds like a nightmare.

Throw the kid in a harness and have him trapeze for you! That is what my uncle did for me when I was that age and it kept me hooked forever. That is more fun than any inflatable!! :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I plan to tow my kids on various objects behind my P16 when they get a bit more experience on the boat. I think that helps make sailing fun for kids. A tube does have lots of drag and you may never get it planing. Maybe a boogie board would be better, or a surfboard, or old windsurfer board. Give it a try and let us know how it works and if it was fun. Good luck!

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • I have been on a surf board towed by a p18. 15mph+ was needed.

We have towed a guy about 5 miles on a paddle board behind a supercat 17. It was blowing close to 20, He fell about 6 times but did rather well considering.

you definatly want to create a little bridal off your beams...and tie a loop in the tow line (or put a thimble or shackle on it) so it can slide up and down the bridal. When we tow john boats with camping gear behind our cats, we try to tie in a quick release incase something happens we can discconect the towee and turn back to recover it (think big wave off a powerboat or other)
  • Has anyone tried a SUP behind a boat? They sould be fairly low drag. We used boogie boards when we were a kid and would get to the point you had to let go to hold onto your shorts. I have seen kids waterski behind a H18 several times. Smaller kids on two skis, but it can be done. I have a picture somewhere of a H18SX flying a hull with a kid on skis.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Lets see if this works

http://www.facebook.com/v/440028473601

Let me know if you can see this video please

Edited by MN3 on Aug 08, 2011 - 09:30 AM.
  • I have towed my 7 and 9 year old on a line tied to the hiking straps of my P-19MX but only in the lightest airs. I have to be real careful to keep their heads up, it is great fun. The trouble with a tube would be picking them back up when they fall off. Practice in the shallows with light winds. Be sure they are comfortable in the water by themselves. My guys wear full 3/2 suits and lifejackets in 75 degree water.

--
    See you on the water
    2003 Bimare 18HT solo Sailor
    Formerly P-19MX solo sailor
    Portsmouth RI
    --
  • Cool! I like the idea of an old windsurfer board or SUP board. At the very least it would be fun to try all of those things!! I bet the kids would have a blast.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • MN3Lets see if this works

http://www.facebook.com/v/440028473601

Let me know if you can see this video pleaseEdited by MN3 on Aug 08, 2011 - 09:30 AM.

Cool Vid! The cameraman was trapping solo while filming? Was he using a helmet cam?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteCool Vid! The cameraman was trapping solo while filming? Was he using a helmet cam?

yes i was. GOPRO!!!
  • I don't think that you want to pull anything heavy (like myself) but I did get a tube this summer and pulled my kids behind my Nacra 5.0. What a blast we had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvgt1szzDA

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marc C.
    Cleveland, Ohio.
    Current love: Nacra 5.0
    Old loves: Int Laser, Int Europe, Int 470, Int 420, Vaurien
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
  • FlyingDutch - that looked like a blast! Nicely done. We'll be trying that soon.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • Towed my 10 y.o. on a tube behind a Hobie 17... got it planing in 15-20 mph wind– hilarious! It's very doable, but I thought the rigging didn't like it so much and sold the tube.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.