Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rolling Sails  Bottom

• Hi All,
    I have been told that sails should always be rolled so that the foot of the sail is on the outside of the roll which is opposite of the way I prefer to roll them.
    To me, it is easier to start rolling at the foot and keep rolling as I let down the sail. If I were to roll the sail the recommended method, I would have to fan fold the sail on the tramp and then start rolling from the head. Since I have laminated sails, I have been told never to bend the material so that it creases. IMHO, man handling the sails twice increases the likelyhood of a crease being formed.
    Does anyone know the reason you have to roll the sail opposite from how its raised? Does it make any difference in the life of the sails? Anyone have any tips on sail rolling they can share?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Don't think it makes a difference on the direction of the roll, just don't crease it. Rollong around the boom is a no no.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • i think the idea of rolling from the top to bottom is to prolong the life of the sail window as it is usually the most delicate.
  • the window will die anyway.. they have a limited life span and are very UV sensative. my last one cost me $65 to get replaced at Doyle sails... not a big factor to me.

laminant sails will delam... just a fact. rolling them works them as well. but of course hard creases are worst

to roll from the bottom is actually pretty rough on the windows cause they get crinkeled a lot in the process (unless you have crew) helping roll the clew

rolling top down will put less curl in the foot of your sail (memory from being stowed that way) giving you slightly more sail area.. but is really not a factor unless you are a pro racer looking for every square centemiter of sail area
  • The reason Hobie says to roll your sails from the top down is, normally the botom panels will be wet or damp from sailing and if you roll from the bottom up you will trap the moisture to the inner most part of the roll. Which is never a good thing. They suggest that you start from the head and fold over to the 2nd or 3rd batten and start to roll making sure that the battens are inline. A loose roll is better that a tight roll so the sail can have a little air flow betwen sailing trips.
  • But rolling it on the boom is soo much easier...

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --
  • The easy road is rarely ever the right road. If you are not a racing sailor, I doubt that it matters which way that you roll your sails. I do rinse my sails every 4th or 5th time I use them. I sail in the Atlantic and the salt crystals and sand can play havoc with the threads. The important thing is that you just go sailing as often as you can, and help your fellow sailor when they need it.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.