Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 hull leaking  Bottom

• Took out my new old 1976 P16 over the weekend with a heavy load (4 adults) and after 4 hours of sailing I had alot of water in the right starboard hull. Took several minutes to drain. I have noticed a small drilled hole under the rear hull plug beneath the rear cross beam is this a weap hole or is this not supposed to be there as the other side does not have one. The O ring is good on the drain plug. What are the most common areas to check for leaks? Please help icon_confused

--
    Mark

Prindle 16 and Laguna 18DS
    Ripon, WI
    --
  • Hole under rear plug beneath the crossbeam is nothing to worry about. The plug under the crossbeam only gives access to the bolt for the crossbeam. It does not connect to the interior of the hull and can only hold a very small amount of water. Maybe a cup or so.

Does your P16 have deck ports? Some do some don't. If you have not had problems be fore your loaded it down then I would look high around the ports. My P18 used to take on more water than it does now after a weekend sailing. It turned out that the water was coming in where the bridles for the jib blocks enter the hull. I added some silicone to the hole around the cable and I get very little water in now.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • No inspection ports.

--
    Mark

Ripon, WI
    --
  • Do the bridles for Jib blocks still go into the hull or do they attach differently.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • They attach to side stay adjuster not the hull directly.

--
    Mark

Ripon, WI
    --
  • Mark, gently pressurize hull, add soapy water to mist bottle and wet down cat, look for the bubbles, that is where water is getting in. The only holes in the hulls are just behind the rear beam, approx 1" in diameter and should have plugs, any other holes are suspect.

Turbo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I had the same problem. I removed the rudder pin gudgeons and siliconed the bolt holes (they go right through the transom). Still have a bit of water but not nearly as much. Also look for small damaged areas along the keels, all it takes is a few pinholes.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Pinholes in hull/deck seam particularly in bows. Silicone seal all seams.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.