Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

p16 line question  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I'm trying to rig up my p16 that I just purchased and have it down with a couple of exceptions.... one of which is the line/rope for both the mail and jib sails are needing replaced. The wire portion for the main is fine, but the rope part for both is shot.

I don't want to buy a full kit since most of it would be a waste, or at least not needed right now. Does anyone know the size of those two ropes? Looks like maybe 1/4 by I'm not sure?

What's confusing me is that on salty dog their line package shows:
    Main Halyard - 3/16” (5mm) x 52' (1585cm) - White
    Jib Halyard - 5/32” (4mm) x 22' (670.6cm) - Black (2)

But no way is it 52'... I guess if I replaced the wire portion with all line, then it would be 52', but as it is right now it's only the length of the mast so 26'. Is it supposed to be all rope and no wire???

Oh, and when pulling up the main sail I get about 2 - 3 feet from the top and it's almost impossible to keep pulling on it? I didn't put parafin wax on the sail, would that be it? Does that make a huge difference?

Thanks!

Ben
    1982 Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ

Edited by bmerkley on Jul 16, 2011 - 03:00 PM.

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • It helps to use more technical terms if you can; halyards, sheets. There are no ropes on a sailboat. As for the halyard, it needs to be longer than the mast by at least a couple feet, 52 feet sounds long, 35 sounds better. Most Prindles are rigged half wire, half line. I will try to measure my line portion today on my P16.

As for the jib, do you have a zipper jib or wire luff?

When raising the main sometimes the luff can get caught so make sure that is smooth, also release the main sheet so there is no tension. If the main is getting caught in the exact same spot every time check the mast and make sure there is no debris or kink in the mast.

Edited by al.reed on Jul 16, 2011 - 01:25 PM.

--
    Alex

Prindle 16 "Shake & Bake"
    Portland, Oregon
    --
  • They are the halyard lines, both the main and jib. The jib is a zipper. On the main line, it's half wire, half line so the mast is 26 feet and figured the replacement then would be the same but the 52' offered in the package at salty dog threw me off. And then the line for the jib goes up to the ring that is probably 20' up the mast so that 22' they show would be right, but then they show there is 2 of them. I only have one line for the jib.

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • I stand corrected on the jib, there are two lines for the jib basically... one going up, one going down so that's why they show 2.

But the 52' for the main halyard still throws me off. I'm going to assume it's a typo or something, I only need about 30 feet at most it seems.

And the jib line seems thicker than the main line, but according to that line package at salty dog it's the opposite. The main line is thicker (which makes sense since it would be carrying more weight I would imagine).

This is my first time rigging it up and just getting into sailing so thanks for any help you can give!

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • i'm not a hobie sailor but i think the 52' is for the newer "comp-tip" masts. i think that halyard is all line instead of half line and half wire as the older hobies (and my g-cat) use.

--
    switched to the dark-side (mutineer 15 mono-hull)

Little Rock Arkansas
    --
  • 3/16" line for the main halyard is what it calls for but i installed 1/4" cause it's more comfortable on my hands...also the main only needs enough length to get the job done(~26' or so), just long enough to run through the center of the cleat and to attach to the shackle for trailoring/storage. the jib is in 2 pieces so when you have it raised, you unclip the extra and store it on the boat in the tramp pocket with the extra main halyard.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Read post, then go read Prindle manual
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12634
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ec1ec0c51ab5b5646d860920

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • As for trouble raising your sail that last bit the best thing is clean the track really well with soapy water. (I do this at the beginning of every season.) I use a sponge with a scrubber side that I fold and slide into the track where the sail goes in and run it up and down the track. You can use a washcloth or whatever works for you. While doing this watch and make sure your sail track is not pinched somewhere for the mast being dropped. That can make it difficult to raise.

After it dries I spray sailkoat into the track. Try to do this on an angle so the spray hits the inside front edge of the track as it doesn't help much to just coat the back of the track. I use the red straw and run a finger along the edge of the track to help guide the spray. Do both sides of the inside track.

Then liberally coat the entire bolt rope with sailkoat. Ti should go up a lot easier next time.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Perfect, thanks for the tip! I haven't cleaned the track at all and it was sitting outside for a couple years before I bought it so that is probably it. Will also get some sailkoat, hadn't heard of that before. Thanks!

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • QuoteIt helps to use more technical terms if you can; halyards, sheets. There are no ropes on a sailboat.

sure there are.. i use ropes to tie down my cooler, radio, throwable pfd, and my anchor. I also use them on my trailer and occasionally on crew (kidding about that one).

Lines are used to control sails, spars, etc... ropes are for everything else (as i understand it)
  • QuoteWill also get some sailkoat, hadn't heard of that before. Thanks!

at about $20 a can (that may or maynot actually land on the right part of your mast track), i perfer to use $8 sillicone. I take a piece of soft white cloth and I wrap it around a pencil (actually broken part of a pen) and manually run it up and down my mast track (and liberaly spray the silicone on it). I lift the mast so i can get over the mast yoke (on the trailer). I do this a few times so that i clean and lube the track well all the way up. i do this a few times a season (but i also sail a lot)

I can see all the dirt and grime i am removing on the cloth and i know i am lubing the track, cause the cloth will run much easier when clean and lubed.
  • The manual says to rub parafin wax on the sail, does any do that as well? Where do you find the silicone, like an auto parts store? Does it just say "silicone" on it? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • MN3
    QuoteIt helps to use more technical terms if you can; halyards, sheets. There are no ropes on a sailboat.

sure there are.. i use ropes to tie down my cooler, radio, throwable pfd, and my anchor. I also use them on my trailer and occasionally on crew (kidding about that one).

Lines are used to control sails, spars, etc... ropes are for everything else (as i understand it)

Fair enough. But what I meant was there are no ropes that come with a sailboat. Everything is a line. All those ropes you use are aftermarket, they are only 'on your sailboat' because you put them there.

Edited by al.reed on Jul 19, 2011 - 09:17 PM.

--
    Alex

Portland, Oregon
    --
  • You guys are funny... I looked in the manual and the definition for 'line' is simply 'rope'.

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • just about any spray silicone will do fine...wax can get messy.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks! I have another question, got all my new line but on the wire portion of the main haylard, there are these two pieces attached to the wire. They kinda look like they should be inside the main sail track in the mast, but mine are on the outside and that wire kind of just dangles around. Should these run along the inside of the track?

Hopefully you can see the below pic:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/bendog/wireonprindle.jpg

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • The only negative about the manual is the way is hops back and forth between the different models. Makes it hard to sort out what applies to a particular model. I wish I had a copy of the Acrobat editor software. It would be nice to be able to break out the different information into model specific documents. At least it does not have several different languages on each page.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • I'm not seeing where in that page in the manual it addresses my question. Am I missing something? I have the manual and have read it, but I can't seem to find where it talks about if those pieces go inside the track on the mast.

I see where it says to hook those stops onto the haylard lock, but not anywhere that says if those slide inside the track on the mast or not.

Edited by bmerkley on Jul 22, 2011 - 12:53 PM.

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • The piece you are talking about is for raising the main. There should be a small fork-like metal piece riveted near the top of the mast on the opposite side of the track. When you raise the main that piece on the wire that you showed hooks under the piece on the mast so you know when you are fully hoisted. Does that make sense?

--
    Alex

Portland, Oregon
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.