Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.7 mast ball  Bottom

• I just switched to Elliot Pattison square top sails in mylar and the boat is uber fast now. The ball under the mast blew out on this years Statue Of Liberty Race under the Verranzo Bridge and we got towed home. The ball was two years old and showed little signs of wear when we stepped the mast this spring. I am looking for others who experienced this and tips on rigging adjustments to avoid this in the future and to increase my performance. I think that rigging from the original to the square top would require different settings. I do not believe the boat is over powered now as it is basically the same boat as the Nacra 570. Thanx, Jenna icon_cool

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • Nothing you would normally do would blow out a mast ball like that (even if your rig is overpower). They use the exact same system on all thier boats even the 6.0. Likely it was a flaw in the ball itself that caused it to crack. Replace and try again.

Is it the old casting system with the 1.25" mast ball or the newer 1.5" mast ball? If it is the former then you may want to consider changing out the dolphinstriker rod and mast base casting for the newer stronger one. However even that was probably not the cause as the reason they uprated it was more to make the d/s rod thicker and less prone to bending.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanx Dave,
    It is the newer larger ball. I bought two this time and we are mast up again thanx to Annapolis Performance Sailing. I guess I will sail it a few weeks and drop the mast and see whats going on there. The boat is a 1983 very clean and fast for a salt water boat
    Peace
    Jenna

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • Great, you probably just got a dud of a mast ball or may it got a bit unscrewed when the mast was down, probably never know. APS are the best!!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.