Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18  Bottom

• I m new to sailing and buying a hobie 18. The hulls are solid and the boat overall looks ok. What are the typical problem areas to look for when making the final decision? Are there areas that are prone to problems? Help! thanks :)
  • IMHO: an H18 is an excellent, fun-to-sale, robust, and reliable boat. There are a few precautions I have found after going through this the last 18 months on a new-to-me boat. Here is my overly simple list of priorities:

Hull: Check for limited or no soft spots, especially near or in front of the front cross-bar. These can be a big headache (but usually not the end of the world). Abrasions and dings are generally easily repaired.

Crossbar reinforcements: Front reinforcement bracket is a must for heavy seas = ocean or great lakes equivalent or strong sailing. Rear reinforcement recommended for heavy seas. Cost to do this averages about $100 per cross-member plus a few hours of labor.

Side-stay anchor bolts: check for anything unusual (cracks, looseness, etc.) and be sure there are hull anchor brackets installed.

Sails: No tears, rips, chafed, or UV degraded spots. Major issues here generally result in sail replacement or restitching.

Rudder Mounting: Gudgeons should be firmly mounted to transom (no looseness or cracks in the fiberglass).

Shrouds and sheets: should be replaced at the first signs of abrasion/wear.

I'm sure others with more wisdom than I will chime in.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12598

Read previous posts on this topic very carefully

Turbo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.