Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie sailing in Jacksonville, FL  Bottom

• Just bought a used 16 and was wondering if anybody knew where I might sail it (no on the ocean). Maybe somewhere on the St. John's? I know Mill Cove is shallow but has anybody sailed there? Where do you launch from? Any help would be appreciated.
  • We have sailed north of Jax around Amelia Island in the Cumberland Sound. We launched in St Mary's, GA and can sail for hours looking at all of the sites (Fort Glinch, Submarine Base, Cumberland Island, etc). The only thing is that there is no place around the St Mary's ramp to keep your boat stored with the mast up.
    To solve that problem on long weekends, we drive 2 islands north to Jekyll Island where you can keep your boat mast up in the parking lot, Also, St Simons (1 island north of Jekyll) has a great facility right on the beach.
    You need to be careful on the N FL, S GA coast since it gets pretty shallow and waves can get pretty rough.
    We hope to see another cat in the area.
    Thanks!
  • The rudder club of Jacksonville http://www.rudderclub.com , located in Orange park is your place. Great sailing club with ramp, dock, and even boat lift. When I was there for the Mug Race in May, there seemed to be a nice fleet of cats there also. I believe they will allow you to use the facilities a day at a time, but if you live close by, consider joining the club and you can store your cat there with the mast up for quick afternoon sails. The St John's River is very wide right there with plenty of room. ON the weekends there is almost always something going on there and you probably won't be alone on the water. You might even be treated to being in the approach path for the P3's coming into NAS Jax. Great folks there (all sailors), I believe.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • ericweller
    To solve that problem on long weekends, we drive 2 islands north to Jekyll Island where you can keep your boat mast up in the parking lot, Also, St Simons (1 island north of Jekyll) has a great facility right on the beach.
    You need to be careful on the N FL, S GA coast since it gets pretty shallow and waves can get pretty rough.
    We hope to see another cat in the area.
    Thanks!

I hope you are still around check the message boards! Can you give me a bit more detail on where the parking lot is to store on Jekyll? And where on St. Simons as well? Thanks in advance.
  • hyperopeThe rudder club of Jacksonville http://www.rudderclub.com , located in Orange park is your place. Great sailing club with ramp, dock, and even boat lift. When I was there for the Mug Race in May, there seemed to be a nice fleet of cats there also. I believe they will allow you to use the facilities a day at a time, but if you live close by, consider joining the club and you can store your cat there with the mast up for quick afternoon sails. The St John's River is very wide right there with plenty of room. ON the weekends there is almost always something going on there and you probably won't be alone on the water. You might even be treated to being in the approach path for the P3's coming into NAS Jax. Great folks there (all sailors), I believe.

I am not a member and never have been a member of the Rudder Club so I feel that I can say with some objectivity that this should be your first stop with your new (to you) Hobie 16.

You will get alot of help getting any questions answered. They have a great facility for launching. It is a great part of the river to sail.

If there were a Hobie headquarters in North FL it would be The Rudder Club. Last time I was over there I counted at least a dozen Hobie 16's, 18's, Tiger, etc... Plus another dozen or so beachcats of other manufacture.

If you need any help setting up your H-16 or have any questions just PM me. I live in Mandarin.

Brad Walker
  • The Rudder Club of Jacksonville is the place you want to be. Reasonable membership fees, on site storage, large boat ramp, racing, social events, facilities including showers and a bar. It just doesn't get any better. We have open movie night on Friday evening come on by.

http://www.icontact-archi…V3eth6XV8lF1gsNXAPYo?w=3

Mill Cove is not the place for a catamaran, you may get by for about an hour at extreme high tides, but other than that, the whole bay is about a foot deep other that the small channel that services private boat ramps. The St John's river here is about forty foot deep and not very wide with large container ships, car carriers and commercial vessels in the river. Being only around 10 miles from the Atlantic, the tidal factor is significant here. I sail some small monohulls at Fulton Road but not my catamarans.

You can get an annual pass from the city for Huegenot, that will also get you into Hanna Park. There is no boating at Hanna park, but you can drive onto the beach at Huegenot and launch through the surf there.

The only other option is to leave your catamaran on the beach at Atlantic Beach. You have to get a permit from the city, but it is free and you do not have to be a resident. The only thing they ask is that you tie up your halyards in a manner that prevents them from clanking on the mast. Of course, you may have people partying on your boat or sleeping on so...........

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • klppurdy
    You can get an annual pass from the city for Huegenot, that will also get you into Hanna Park. There is no boating at Hanna park, but you can drive onto the beach at Huegenot and launch through the surf there.

The only other option is to leave your catamaran on the beach at Atlantic Beach. You have to get a permit from the city, but it is free and you do not have to be a resident. The only thing they ask is that you tie up your halyards in a manner that prevents them from clanking on the mast. Of course, you may have people partying on your boat or sleeping on so...........

I just moved to Jacksonville recently will be purchasing a used catamaran for sailing the river and looking forward to sailing the ocean. I've been looking for locations near or on the beach to launch but in Jacksonville there is a City ordinance concerning catamarans on Jax beaches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Information paragraph 19
    Are sailboats and catamarans allowed on the beach?
    They are allowed on the beach if the following rules are followed: they may not be launched or removed from the water; they cannot be stored in a way that is harmful to the sea oats or the sand dunes, and they cannot interfere with the lifeguards' vision.

http://www.jacksonvillebeach.org/government/faqs
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would LOVE the option to drive on the beach and launch ...... but Jacksonville city ordinance says different.

I'm still digging around to see what all the options are around in the area for launching on a beach in or around the Jacksonville area ...... Just need to make sure its within city ordinance.

Would love to have some feed/ideas back on this matter in the Jacksonville Beach/Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach area!

Edited by sailerrick on Dec 10, 2017 - 05:39 AM.

--
    Still looking for a good used Catamaran
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • Get a hobie 18. We already have like 8 at the rudder club and I have 2 I bring to race regularly. We are quickly stockpiling a good amount of parts for these boats and the knowledge base is solid so you’d have plenty of help fixing one up if needed. Masts, beams, boards, you name it.

It really is the largest one design cat on the river now. Just look at the hobie 18 fleet building thread a few below this one for some pictures from last weekend.
  • +1 on Hugenot if you want to sail in the ocean. Can back the trailer right into the Surfline, plenty of room to rig and launch. Great beaches to explore to the north, Talbot Island and Amelia island aren’t far and if you are willing to put in some more miles Fort Clinch and Cumberland Island are within reach which are both awesome.
  • jalex+1 on Hugenot if you want to sail in the ocean. Can back the trailer right into the Surfline, plenty of room to rig and launch.

So the park rangers at Hugenot don't have a problem with the public launching a catamaran on the beach?

If it is allowed on Hugenot ........disconnect trailer and leave on beach, or disconnect trailer and use two park spaces?......

Also heard you can launch and park on Vilano Point at Vilano Beach?

--
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • tamumpower1Get a hobie 18. We already have like 8 at the rudder club and I have 2 I bring to race regularly. We are quickly stockpiling a good amount of parts for these boats and the knowledge base is solid so you’d have plenty of help fixing one up if needed. Masts, beams, boards, you name it.

It really is the largest one design cat on the river now. Just look at the hobie 18 fleet building thread a few below this one for some pictures from last weekend.

I'm wanting to find a used Nacra 20 I would consider a another manufacture if the price was right....

Someone approach me today about a Nacra 6.o they have with lots and lots of accessories but $5k I think is a bit strong for a 6.0?

Edited by sailerrick on Dec 10, 2017 - 06:43 PM.

--
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • Parking at Hugenot is not a problem, even with trailer connected, I have launched there several times without incident so I can only assume it’s allowed.

Yes, St Johns county allows vehicles on the beach and there are several access points for vehicles near Vilano. I really wouldn’t use them without 4 wheel drive, although some do. It does require a permit which are available daily or monthly.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpCTtV6Qu0s

Here's the heavy action from last weekend icon_biggrin

sailerrick
    I'm wanting to find a used Nacra 20 I would consider a another manufacture if the price was right....

Someone approach me today about a Nacra 6.o they have with lots and lots of accessories but $5k I think is a bit strong for a 6.0?Edited by sailerrick on Dec 10, 2017 - 06:43 PM.

I've heard of that boat for sale. I mean price is relative depending on what you would redo on the boat yourself. A good set of sails is going to be 2-3K for that boat probably and spares of anything arent cheap regardless of what boat you get. So if it has anything that's newer it can justify the price to the right person.

Having the same boat as other people to have little races against is the most fun to me.

Just keep in a mind a Hobie 18 looks way cooler on the water with the colorful sails and you don't have to baby it. Girls like bright colors not boring white sails. You gotta think about the important things...
  • Note taken ...... Women attracted to bright Colors .....They are also highly attracted to large bulges to. Hahah

Why did you say, you don't have to baby it?

--
    Jacksonville FL
    --
  • sailerrickNote taken ...... Women attracted to bright Colors .....They are also highly attracted to large bulges to. Hahah

Why did you say, you don't have to baby it?

Foam core sides and deck but solid glass bottom. Holds up well to beachings and impacts. This all assumes you get one without bad soft spots of course but that's not impossible. One of mine was a farm field find and it's hulls are really solid. I've run my daggers into the bottom tons of times at speed and it hasnt destroyed the trunks.
  • Hi Sailerrick.

I PMd you with my email and phone number. I am selling a G-Cat 5.7 in Jacksonville. It is complete with 2 full sets of sails and ready to go with trailer. Has a soft spot on top deck on both hulls where I always sit. Other than that it is 100%. Asking 2000 but if your keeping it here in Jax I will let it go for 1500 to support local multihull sailing.

I just bought a new boat so the old ones gotta go.

Brad in Mandarin, Jacksonville, FL
  • Brad, Just curious, what made you jump ship with your 5.7?
  • jalexBrad, Just curious, what made you jump ship with your 5.7?

My purchase of a Stiletto 27 Championship Edition icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

I have been trying to buy a S27 for 4 years.....finally found the right one.

I will be buying an ad here as soon as I get some decent pics of the G-Cat 5.7
  • Hello,
    Our daughter will be a freshman at Jax Univ. this year. Therefore we are vacationing in Jax early August - 2022. My question, is this information still current? Any 2022 updates much appreciated.
    Thanks, Bill Mc
    Hobie 16
    Lake Murray Sailing Club

Edited by outdoorwood on Jul 10, 2022 - 05:58 PM.

--
    Hobie 16
    Lake Murray Sailing Club
    --
  • Hi,

Yes, all of this information is still accurate. The Instructors at the Rudder Club are from the JU sailing team.

So Rudder Club should be your first stop.

Cheers,

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.