Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 DS Rod/ball installation  Bottom

• I have recently replaced my Dolphin Striker rod and ball on my Nacra 5.8na. I was told by the old owner of the boat that it looked to high. I installed it to the specs that nacra instructed me to. He also felt that my rigging was too tight as well, due to the possible increased hieght of the ball. Does anyone know the proper hieght or technique to doing this correctly, assuming it is not correct now.

He said that you are supposed to torque the bottom nut (under the support beam) as to create a backwards arc in the front support beam to be counteracted by the weight of the mast/rigging's downward pressure.

Any advice/help/links would be appreciated.
  • Yes, the newer DS rods look too high. They aren't. Rigging isn't too tight unless you are unable to manually rotate the mast past about 45 degrees from center, you probably want it slightly looser than that though, say being able to rotate it 50-70 degrees in both directions.

Check this thread out:
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12542

Basically you want to tighten the bottom nut until it meets the beam and then tighten it another 3/8" bowing the beam a little bit. I believe that distance is approximately 3 1/2 full turns of the nut. Make sure the nut above the beam is up and out of the way (I think that, that was how I stripped one of my DS rods, and yes that was incredibly stupid).

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.