Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Keeping up speed  Bottom

• I've been sailing for a year now and would like to hear some advice on a sailing question. I was out this afternnon and when a puff came my boat would start flying a hull. to keep from going over I would let out on the man sheet, the hull would go back down, but it felt like I was losing speed/momentum. Next I tried to steer into the wind when the puff came which felt like it stalled the boat. Whats the correct way to keep my speed up? I'm probably over cautious about turning my boat over, NACRA 500. Worried about not being able to right it solo, I weigh about 160 lbs..

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Anticipate the puffs and be proactive with the sheet and/or stick, depending on your goal. If you're trying to get somewhere upwind, just point up higher, especially if the puff is a bit behind the normal wind.

More importantly, just get a righting bag or righting system so capsizing is no longer a major concern. A 500 should be easy to right, and going out solo unable to right the boat is just a bad idea.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • if you dump the main and drop the flying hull in the water hard, it is going to be slow

likewise if you hoick the rudders upwind quickly and drop the hull it will be slow

same if you push out too quickly on trapeze...

over the years you develop enough feel to know which of the 3 to do and when

eventually you will combine all 3 at once without thinking about it much

like becoming good at driving a car fast around corners in the rain

how many hours did that take; 5, 50, 500?
  • I've got a righting bag attached under my tramp. I turned over my turbo 14 twice, once it turtled due to an unsealed mast and I had to get assistance from a motor boat to get it back over. The other time it stayed on it's side and i was able to get it back up. Haven't had to try it on the 500 yet

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Here's a suggestion and Im still very much in the learning stage, not so much mastering stage.... but what I've read and have been testing is to let out your traveler just a bit, then u can still sheet in tight, but it may steady the boat and allow some of the gusts to spill off ...I think it also depends on where u sail and the wind condition. My lake is smallish, and last saturday the wind was all over the place, dying one second, 15+ gust the next. But I got a great ab work out ;)
    Also, if you're having a hard time keeping her down and you're using your weight (ie trapping out) then u just have too much power... try flatening your sails more (downhaul/outhaul etc).

just my 2 cents :)

Edited by rdemmin on Jun 24, 2011 - 11:33 PM.
  • I suggest that for your fear of not being able to right the boat, practice. Take a friend with you, tip the boat and while he stays in the water, try and right the boat with the aid of a righting bag or pole, if successful, do it a few more time. Once you know that you can do it, your concerns should be gone and you can concentrate on going fast.
  • You should learn all the ways (if you dont know already) how to depower the cat.

if you are getting gusted and it takes more than 1 0r 2 arms lengths of mainsheet to get the cat to the proper angle (windward hull, up&out of the water.. just skimming/kissing the water) then you probably need more downhaul (and probably outhaul too)

If the wind is above 15 (or any windspeed you are overpowered at)..then you should travel out a bit... at that wind speed you probably want crew as well...
  • All good advice! Sailing in the gusts is all about small adjustment and finess. It certainly isn't easy, but thats half the fun! Learn to flatten the sails and play the mainsheet and traveller. But most of all flip that cat and get over your fear of capsize.

I know I'm still nervous about it and it's one of the things I need to work on this year, even though I know I can right mine by myself.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.