Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra Ring Lock Main Halyard  Bottom

• Almost got the boat in the water for this season, finally! The last thing I am working on is the new ring lock I have installed with a new top casting on the mast and hook tang. Everything I have read indicates that you should run the halyard over the sheave at the top of the mast and down the mast track. I am very worried that the halyard will not fit in the track, and that I will have trouble raising the main because I don't have a block at the bottom of the mast to act as a turning point.

Had anyone had this problem? Has anyone run the halyard outside the mast track? And if so how did you do it without abrading the halyard on the hook tang?

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • The turning block is a must. It should be mounted on an eye strap to the center of the main beam, not the mast.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Ah, that shouldn't be a problem. Still would prefer to run it externally if possible. How about mounting it on the boom goosneck? I have a cheek block mounted in teh track below for the downhaul.

Edited by Wolfman on Jun 14, 2011 - 10:28 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Inside the track isn't an issue at all. Just do it and worry about it if something doesn't seem right.

I agree I'd put the block on the beam. On my 5.5 it's on the beam, P18 it's mounted in the base casting IIRC. Either way, you want a sheeve at the bottom for the leverage to hoist the sail, and to keep the halyard out of the way after the sail is hooked. You don't have to remove the tail like the original 5.2 halyard, just tuck the excess into a pocket on the tramp and go.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Getting past the cheek block should not be a problem if the bolts are short. I use 3/16 line and have had no problems, plenty of room in the track.

If you use the boom goosneck, the halyard would be in the way of the bottom part of the boltrope sliding back in the tract and the downhaul would not work smooth.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • OK, I am probably worrying too much. Too much in a hurry to get it all done and in the water. Summer is too darn short up here to waste it working on the boat too much. Too bad I'm such a tech whore. :) The reason I became an engineer in the first place.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Nope my worries were justified! My flat top main's bolt rope is so big it takes up the entire track. No room for the halyard and the sail. So I pulled the halyard out of the sail track and just let it sit beside the sail. It now goes through the top casting and down through the hook tang and outside the mast the rest of the way. Seemed to work fine with very little chafing so I'm going with it.

The really cool thing is the 8:1 downhaul and swept spreaders worked awesome and the mast bent really well. Anyone have advice on how much bend I need to depower the sail? I think I have enough but it certainly isn't shaped like a banana. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.