Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Just bought a "87 Prindle 18.2 (4 way jib system)  Bottom

• I used to race Hobie fleet 8 out of Houston..... I knew the Hobie 18 very well. Now I have a Prindle 18.2 with the 4 way jib system and the boat has lots of blocks and pulleys, very confusing. I live just north of Galveston..... any cat sailors here that I can join up with and maybe learn my new boat?
  • did you just buy this boat on craigslist? if so, it is a sweet boat for a sweet price.

4 way jib is a pain in the butt for me too.
  • Portsmouth number for Hobie 18 is 71.4 and for P-18-2 is 69.1, so it's about 2% faster, considerably lighter, and with kick-up centerboards, plus it's 8.5' wide. Pete
  • The 4-way jib system is not that big of a deal. It's on most of the 8.5 foot wide boats with big jibs. Nacra 6.0 and 5.5sl Prindle 19 and 18-2 Hobie 20 may have had it. Fore and aft works just like the Hobie 18. Set it so that there is even pull on both the foot and leach of the jib. The inboard and outboard are the ones that go across the tramp. My experience is from the nacra 5.5 sl. If you want to point, run the leed about 4 inches out from the tramp sock that covers the wire. Once over powered, you can pull them out toward the hull which opens the slot between the main and jib but decreases pointing ability. There is no need to adjust them for down wind because you use the barberhauler. All that said, many recreational sailors remove them but it's a must to point while racing.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • All 3 of these links are all basically the same group. We are all members of tcdyc but after the Hurricane we started sailing off the beach and now primarily sail off the beach in Surfside and Galveston so we started Surfside sailing to promote the sport and have another media outlet of sorts.

Next weekend is the GT300 (gt300.com) Come to Surfside and have a look. Seeing 50+ boats on the beach is a really cool site!

I sail a P19 and can show you all you need to know about your 18-2. I almost bought that boat! We have a guy that sails with us that has a 18-2 and you could not of bought a better boat!

http://surfsidesailing.wordpress.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surfside-Sailing/138849649515344

www.tcdyc.com Local sailors at the Tx City Dike

Teddy/Turbocat
  • Hi Teddy,
    Thanks for all of the info and links. I went to the dike yesterday and met a Hobie 17 sailor named Frank and he mentiomned your name a coupla times. All good about you. I'll be down there shortly.... as soon as I replace the rigging and get the trailer tags and lights. About the Dike.... i"m sorry but "I CAN'T DRIVE 25". I lived at the base of the dike for 20 years (right by the airplane) the speed limit was higher then. I was at the dike daily. I'm gonna petition the mayor to up the speed limit..... at least 30!
    icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
  • Yeah i went out to Franks right when they bought the boat and showed them how to rig it. Nice people.

Slow down! haha. They will give you a ticket out there!

Glad you found us!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.