Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Refinishing My 18, Best paint and primer?  Bottom

• I just finished disassembling my H18 for refinishing. Any suggestions on paint paint type and whether or not to Prime before repainting?

--
    82 Hobie 18 (smurf boat)
    --
  • unless you got an ugly fiberglass repair or its already been painted in the past i would just try to buff the hulls. Sorry that this doesnt answer your qestion
  • Tried a good buff and still can't get it need the original color (smurf blue). going white
    thinking Imron,

--
    82 Hobie 18 (smurf boat)
    --
  • Use 800 grit water paper and the blue will pop right back, had a H16, same colour, same problem, oxidized almost white, spent the better part of a day sanding out oxidization but well worth it. Finish off with poliglow to seal, protect and make hulls shine, hulls looked almost new when I finished. Check out my old H16 here:-

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=72226

Turbo
  • AWE grip paint is the best u can get...... priming is a 'MUST'

Edited by duly on Jun 01, 2011 - 01:18 PM.
  • I agree with Duly...Awl Grip is the best

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Paint if you want to cover up damage or just change the color, but if you have undamaged blue gelcoat that just looks faded and chauky you can bring it back to new with chemicals.

I saw a red boat at Ocean Springs that looked awesome after being treated with Poliglow. I used it on my white hulls two years ago and they still look shiny.

Put you speakers on mute before clicking on this Poliglow link, they have a really annoying website.
    http://www.poliglow-int.com/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • KennyBI agree with Duly...Awl Grip is the best

Hey Duly, good to see you here, share your Prindle 18 speed secrets. icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I do have some srapes bumps and burses along with a couple places I can see light around the dagger boards. I think I've talked myself into the changing color. AWL Grip looks good plus it gives me a reason the go the charleston ( i wish the cat wasn't in a bunch of peices)

Thanks for the direction .

And in a couple of months when I get the boat back together anyone sailing in the upstate of south carolina?

--
    82 Hobie 18 (smurf boat)
    --
  • Not in upstate but I'm in Columbia...Lake Murray. What lake in upstate will you be sailing in?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • I sailed in Murray last fall, wind didn't blow that day. Where do you put in, the landing I launched at was not very friendly to a nopoered boat. Usually I go out in Hartwell, but I been to myrtle beach, charleston and edisto.

--
    82 Hobie 18 (smurf boat)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.