Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

My first cat is nearly ready for the water after soft spot repairs.  Bottom

• Firstly I wanted to thank everyone here that offered me advice previously.

I repaired several large soft spots in the hulls of a H16 with the epoxy injection method. There are so many great guides here and elsewhere I feel like I would be a broken record posting another. But I did want to toss out a couple helpful hints that I came across through my own errors.

I would highly recommend purchasing a drill bit stop. (not sure what these are actually called.) It is a small ring with an alan head screw in it to set a depth for your drill bit. they are cheap, a couple of dollars, and a huge boost to setting your mind at rest. My first soft spot I used masking tape as a guide on my bit. I got in hurry near the end and drilled to deep on two holes without realizing it. Of course I also started my injection on one of these holes thereby wasting 20 dollars of Git Rot while injecting...

After drilling your holes I would also suggest checking them with a toothpick or piece of small wire to make sure you didnt drill through both. Epoxy isnt cheap and to describe my anger and language when I realized what I had done would probably get me barred from the site. If your bit went through both layers of fiberglass a small piece of dowel rod worked for me to plug it. although I think a more viscous epoxy would have done well too.

I used one quart of Git Rot epoxy and 2 quarts of West Systems epoxy. I think that both epoxies worked equally as well with th biggest difference being that the Git Rot was a bit more expensive. Although the Git Rot came with and used a bit more hardener in its mix. (Git Rot-3/1 West Systems- 5/1) so it may go a bit farther.

Largest spot was about 40" by 10" and used just over a quart of epoxy to repair.

All in all its not very pretty with over 100 small holes drilled in it...But it is functional and I have learned so much doing this. I would highly recommend anyone with a bit of free time that can find a dirt cheap cat to try taking on the project. Thus far it has extremely educational and a lot of fun to see this boat rise from the graveyard. Now if I could just find a used tramp in ok condition I am all set to get it wet.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=80171
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=80165

Sorry I couldnt figure out to link the actual picture but they are posted here on thebeachcats.
    Jon
  • Have a white H-16 tramp. Call me. Pete 909-800-5237

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.