Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Quick and dirty delam repair, its easy and inexpensive.  Bottom

• Ok, Ive started doing my huge delam repair on my P-16 junker. These hulls are technically toast anyway, so I am doing this as cost, and time effectively as possible. Someone asked my to document my work and post pictures, so here goes:

You will need the following:
    fiberglass resin (or epoxy)
    mixing cups and sticks
    wide masking tape
    sharpie marker
    drill
    1" drywall screws
    roll of paper towels (or two)
    lacquer thinner
    horse syringes (any large pet supply has them for ~ $1.50 ea.)
    drill bit for the tip size of your syringes, and something to cut the drill bit short.

Ok, start out by getting your work area flat, decks can be done while assembled, but the hull sides will require the hulls removed and put on sawhorses.

clean the area and cover with a layer of masking tape

mark your drilling spots in a triangular fashion, about 3" apart (I tried 4" apart at first to save time, did not work well, make them 3" spacing) I made a template out of a piece of cardboard, to speed up the process:
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8284/1001946i.jpg

Now its drill time, you have to drill through the top layer, and the foam underneath, but NOT the inner fiberglass layer. The depth is anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" , you want to drill through the soft foam to the inner layer. You will have to experiment with the depth, as no two old broke down boats are the same. Prep your drill bit by cutting it in half and discarding the rear portion, this is so you can set the drill depth easily. Heres a pic:
    http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1535/1001947m.jpg

Once the holes are drilled, I take an extra drill bit and spin in the holes by hand to make sure I got through the foam.
    If your delam area is large, like mine, you will have to put in screws to hold the layers together, otherwise you will end up pumping in huge amounts of resin as the layers spread out. Put a screw through a hole every foot or so.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3349/1001948.jpg

Now you are ready to fill, on a large repair, I mix about 12 oz. of resin at a time. fill your syringe up and start at one end, pumping into each hole until it comes out of another. Each hole usually needs 1/3 to 1/2 a syringe full. Work quickly.
    After I fill each row of holes, I wipe off the excess and put down a strip of tape over them, this keeps the stuff in when you move on to the next row, making less waste.
    Always keep your paper towels handy, and use the thinner to wipe it off of the other parts of the hull if it runs.

As soon as each batch is done, you can wipe out your mix cup, and clean out the syringe with laquer thinner to make the most out of your supplies.

after it sets, pull the screws and fill those holes as well, then leave it alone until it sets and cools a while.

Peel the tape, use a razor blade to level off any protrusions.
    Fill any divots with bondo, or marine sealant, and thats it!

Now take pride in the fact that you just saved another boat from being parted out!

It only took me about 1 1/2 hours to inject the entire space between the beams on the old P-16, its really not that time consuming once you are set up and ready to go.

Hope this helps somebody.

Edited by anrkii on May 20, 2011 - 04:37 PM.
  • How much epoxy did you buy? I am debating between getting the quart and getting a gallon?

Any advice is helpful!!!

I am doing this tomorrow

--
    RRL
    1979 Prindle 16 "Flying Machine"
    Nashville, TN
    --
  • It depends of how bad off your boat is, I used 3/4 gallon on my decks, BUT I had to do the entire area between the beams on both hulls, plus the rear decks and parts of the fronts, too

Ill have 2-3 gallons in the whole boat when its finished. Its a real roach.
  • nice recap

using screws to hold the layers together....aaaahhhgg

happy my old nacra is solid glass

Edited by erice on May 20, 2011 - 08:41 PM.
  • Luv how you refer to your "project" boat. I've seen it called a beater, junker, roach, & best of all the photo-"here's the heap".
    You can now sail the crap out of it, & if accidents happen during the learning curve, well, whats another scratch in one of the dents?
    If/when you decide to get another cat you can probably get all your money back on that one, & had tons of fun in the meantime.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Awesome info! Man it is exactly what I needed as a guide to take on my project. Thank ya much

--
    1976 Prindle 16, Sailing since 1969, Retired Chief USCG, Disabled Vet, Father of 3 great daughters!
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.