Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is it possible to shorten a P19 mast so it can be used on a P18-2?  Bottom

• I have a Prindle 18-2 hull with no mast or sails. It is unlikely I will find a P18-2 mast here in Hawaii, but there is one P19 mast that I know of, so I have a few questions:
    1) It seems they are the same cross-section because the mast bases are the same for both boats at Murrays.com. Is it possible to shorten a P19 mast so that it will fit a P18-2?
    2) If I cut off the appropriate amount at the top of the P19 mast do I need to reposition the hounds for the P18-2?
    3) Would the cut down P19 mast weigh the same as a true P18-2 mast?
    4) Anyone ever done this before?

Wicked questions eh?

Thanks
    Barry
  • Sounds iffy, but the critical measurement would be the height of the mast hound (so shrouds fit), and overall height (so main will hook). If you can get the measurement for a 18-2 mast you can figure out if you can get the same height with the 19 mast by trimming either/both ends of the extrusion.

It looks like the mast head casting and the mast hound factory parts are the same for the two masts, so it looks like you have a chance.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • If you can find a P18 mast, it will fit perfectly.
    Thats because the P18-2 is a P18 on symetrical
    hulls instead of the slab side assymetrical hulls.

The P18 rig was transferred in its entirety to the new
    hulls creating the P18-2.
  • Really? Are you certain of that, because I have seen some posts somewhere agreeing, and others disagreeing. But still its hard to find them here in Hawaii.

--
    barrylay
    --
  • I am certain. The only difference was the addition
    of the 4-way jib traveller adjustment system.
    Go to the Performance Catamarans Website,
    view the manual for the P18 and then look at
    the manual for the P18-2/P19. They even used
    the same pictures.
  • NAAAA the 18-2 does not have assymetrical hulls but has centerbaords like a P19. I "think" it did have 4way jib cars. Take a pic of the mast ball /step and post it. I'll do likewise for a P19. I think you could shorten the p19 mast - off the top, and make it work. The 18-2 was a real preformer but had less hull vol then the 19 and it carried less sail.
  • As far as the mast goes, all Prindle and Nacra masts of that era were the same cross section, just make sure you cut it straight!

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • The P18 mast is a perfect fit for the P18-2. I have done this swap when I owned both boats. The P19 mast is the same extrusion and can be cut down to fit. Make sure to measure the location of the mast hound and cut material from both top and bottom if necessary. Drill the rivets, remove the castings, cut square and replace both castings. Use lots of silicone caulking on the castings to reseal the mast.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.