Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

prindle 18 and hobie 16  Bottom

• I have a '74 prindle and the hulls are de-laminated I paid 500 for it and never took it out!! I have found a Hobie 16 with no sails, boom or mast, is there a way to use my prindle mast and rgging on the Hobie? I live in houston and sail out of galveston. I am a beginner in sailing beach cats and got dupped on my first boat buy!! All the hardware is there, sail is in good shape , no jib , what do I do now?
  • it is possible but i would think it is much more work than it's worth (i could be wrong, but i wouldn't do this).

i would part out (sell) the prindle parts (on this site and craigslist and ebay) and find (purchase) a h16 that the hulls are shot on, ... then you will have your mast boom and sails.. and lots of spares
  • By using quick search and searching for prindle delamination Came up with about 6 hits. Here is the first onehttp://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12283

You might give this a try. http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=64559

Edited by skarr1 on Apr 25, 2011 - 08:22 PM.
  • gertsonf, go ahead and repair the delamination on the P18 if possible, it's not too difficult using the injection method, will take you the better part of a day to do this type of repair job but well worth it. And you gain some experience as a bonus, will come in handy in later years.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ion-repair-instructions/

Hope this helps

Turbo
    Prindle 18
  • ~~ Fix the Prindle, and buy a jib...... Mixin & matchin 2 different boats won't work, The mast & sail is bigger from a 18 / 16.... Even if ya had 2 Hobies, one 16 and one 18, ya have a size diff. and they are made different so they wouldn't work either !!!!! So-- fix the Prindle, also a good cat. Do ya have everything for the jib set-up ?? Maybe Steve or Turbo would help ya out if ya need it...... Sail Safe & FAST~~~~~~~~ icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Popeye is 100% rught. Dont try to mix boats. The nasts mount differantly. the P18 mast will be WAYYYYY to big and heavy for the H16.
  • First of all, you don't have a P-18 if it's a '74. 18's weren't made until '78 or 79. I have a '74 sitting in La Paz, BCS which had 300 holes drilled for injection (my biggest injection ever) and hulls are now solid. Brush finished job with Interlux Brightside and you'll have a like new boat, far better than a H-16. Pete

Edited by pbegle on Apr 26, 2011 - 03:57 PM.
  • I agree fix the P18 I think you ill be happier with it than the H16 . If you really don't want to fix it I am sure you could part it out and make money on the deal then by you a complete boat ready to sail.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • ya i bought a p-18 with a huge soft spot right at the rear cross beam, 40 holes later and a couple quarts of resin and she is solid and stout. wasnt really hard, dont let nothin but fear stop ya. a h-16 is a great boat, many of my freinds have them, but i love my p-18, they are fast and user freindly. not to mention ive had four large dudes on it, i find the larger displacement more desireable. good luck

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.