Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anyone use the RWO QRH spreader bar?  Bottom

• Anybody ever used one of these? http://www.h2o-sensations…-standard-quot-with-qrh/ I did allot of swimming last season and I think a quick release hook might be a good thing to have but wanted to get some input from you guys.
  • how fast can you jam that button? it would be a fun ride if you pitchpole.
  • I use them. The button mechanism works great, but is not a huge help as you are pitchpoling (you usually have more important things on your mind than hitting the button then, like not cranking your head on the boat). But if you end up dangling it makes getting unhooked much easier. It releases fairly easily even under load.

I find that the spreader itself is a little wide and tends to get in my way. That is probably also becuase I'm too fat though, my crew doesn't seem to have the same issues. If you get them I would suggest epoxying the rubber retainer to the hook, otherwise it can fall off when you unclip and the hooks are expensive.

Given a choice I actually prefer the keyhole system http://www.murrays.com/mm…_Code=C-TR&Store_Code=MS. Sailing on other peoples boats I found them very secure and easy to get in and out of. The only thing stopping me from getting it right now is cost as it only comes in carbon fiber.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • The problem with the key hole system is we hop from boat to boat often and everyone has the traditional rig with the cant miss trap handles so the RWO would be more generic in a good way. Woflman the RWO cost more than key whole carbon fiber from what I have seen the RWO is pretty expensive.

Edited by fa1321 on Apr 11, 2011 - 02:49 PM.
  • Ah, then if the width of the spreader doesn't bother you, the RWO is the way to go.

Not if you have a local boat shop that ordered them by accident and had no idea what they were it doesn't. :) They were buried on a shelf with no price. I got them for about $80 each. Still considering the keyhole system though.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • What's wrong with the regular hook? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think getting separated from the boat should be a big priority.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Rob I wear the murrays full harness and if I ever flip and get hooked under the boat there is no way I could get that harness off before I drown. I also have allot of new people coming out and crewing and I was thinking they might feel a little more safe as well. Getting seperated from the boat is not the issue its getting hooked to something on the boat if you get broached or flipped it happens to everyone at some point when playing in the ocean. I went for 1.5 years and never flipped one time then in a 6 month period I got flipped, thrown, broached almost every trip out half the time with me at the helm and the other half with top notch sailors. The ocean can just slap you as a reminder of who is really in control. So I was just exploring ways of keeping myself and crew safe. You taken the 5.5SL out yet?
  • yurdleWhat's wrong with the regular hook? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think getting separated from the boat should be a big priority.

Yes the issue with the hook is drowning (after capsize).

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.