Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Server Upgrade/Move Scheduled  Bottom

• During the next two days, Wednesday and Thursday I'll be moving TheBeachcats.com to a much more powerful server to handle the continued traffic increase.

Please use the contact form to report any problems you notice. If the site is down for you please use the webmaster@ email to report the problem. Thank you and keep your fingers crossed.

For the geeks here are the basic specs of the new Dell server.

Intell Xeon Quad Core w/6mb cache
    4GB RAM @ 1333MHz
    2 x 250 high speed Hard drives
    Centos 5.5 64bit OS

Hopefully that will keep the site going for the next couple of years, please report any problems you notice. The move includes a change of IP address for the site, so the plan is to copy the site to the new server while leaving the old one in place, then switch the domain IP address.

Any time a database based site is moved it is possible for some content to get lost in the shuffle, this can happen if you post content to the old server just after the final copy is done to the new one but before the IP change propagates. If you post on the forums, classifieds, or photo albums and later your content vanishes you'll know you got caught in the crossfire and will need to repost.

Please bookmark this URL.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/thebeachcats.com

http://www.downforeveryon…tme.com/thebeachcats.com

You can use that to find out if the site is really down or it's just your ISP hasn't caught up to the changes.

Thanks and please bear with me while this gets done.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon: I know you weren't looking for advice, much less mine, but....

Are you sure you want to go with the Intell Xeon Quad Core w/6mb cache? That thing wears out muffler bearings like nobodys business.....they are a bear to replace and require a special pipe stretcher. Also, you will find that the Centos 5.5 64bit OS is made of unobtanium...it will cost you a damn fortune if you ever have to upgrade!

Just my 2 cents.....take it for what it's worth!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rattlenhumAre you sure you want to go with the Intell Xeon Quad Core w/6mb cache? That thing wears out muffler bearings like nobodys business.....they are a bear to replace and require a special pipe stretcher. Also, you will find that the Centos 5.5 64bit OS is made of unobtanium...it will cost you a damn fortune if you ever have to upgrade!

Just my 2 cents.....take it for what it's worth!

Always glad to hear advice from our most tech-savy members, unfortunately Jerome ain't one of them. icon_evil Awesome sailor but can't operate a digital watch, much less a web server. prost

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Do you literally have the server or is it Hosted by VPN/VPS?

One of the virtual worlds i helped create,(yes, i know..i'm a bit young for that.. icon_cool )is running on a Windows 2003 and has no slow database problems..(1TB HD For the win?!?!)

But then again, We Defrag the Server & Stuff weekly...just to keep it at it's fastest!

I personally think that,
    damonAdmin
    4GB RAM @ 1333MHz
    Centos 5.5 64bit OS

is an overkill.

:)

Edited by TylerH on Apr 05, 2011 - 06:34 PM.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • TylerHDo you literally have the server or is it Hosted by VPN/VPS?

Real dedicated Dell server, located in a very fast/connected data center. It's currently on a high-end VPS, before last October it was on a low-end dedicated server, I've found that the VPS just can't handle the peaks and this is before the heavy use months get here.

QuoteOne of the virtual worlds i helped create,(yes, i know..i'm a bit young for that.. icon_cool )is running on a Windows 2003 and has no slow database problems..(1TB HD For the win?!?!)

Put it on the public Internet and invite a couple hundred of your closest friends to pound it at the same time, let me know how that goes. icon_evil
    I personally think that,
    damonAdmin
    4GB RAM @ 1333MHz
    Centos 5.5 64bit OS

is an overkill.

"There's no kill like overkill"

Obviously the site could get by on less, but moving it is a b--i--t--c--h and I want SPEED this summer and no hassles.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • damonAdmin Always glad to hear advice from our most tech-savy members, unfortunately Jerome ain't one of them.

You got that right, brother! I'm proud to say that:

1. I don't have any idea what y'all are talking about.

2. I can't even operate a cell phone very well, 'cause I still don't have one.

Tyler: Sounds like Damon is one-upping you....you may need to go to the hardware store and get a pipe stretcher, too. icon_smile

Edited by rattlenhum on Apr 08, 2011 - 01:48 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • The server move is finally complete, if you see this post, you are experiencing the awesomeness of the new server.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • completely seamless for my MacBook Pro

thanks for your work and time!
  • I wondered what that awsomeness was that I was feeling..... icon_cool

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.