Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Removing roller pins?  Bottom

• I need desperately to replace the rear rollers on my cat trailer. I can't really afford nice new double rollers so I was just going to remove the pins which are bent and the rollers which are cracked and put new ones in. What is the best way to remove and then replace the little caps on the end of the pins that keep them in place. I'll Try and shoot a picture when I get home. Also anyone know the best place for affordable replacements?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Those little caps are a one time install item.Once they have been knocked on,you must simply cut them with some tin snips and pry hard.They are reality cheap to replace.I ordered some from Overton and about a third of those would not hold.Get the replacement ones from West Marine,they have a slightly larger prong that really holds well.New pins are nice to get too.
    I custom fabricated my roller system like a extremist.I even used oil impregnated bronze bushings between the pins and the steel bracket .
    Do I have issues................ icon_lol

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • How hard was it to make and what tools did you need? Can you write up a tech section here? I have a friend who makes and sells some nice double but they are still pretty pricey.

http://www.icarussportsusa.com/parts-and-accessories/double-rollers/

I think I could make something like this but might not have all the tools I'd need.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • I am a custom fabricator at a large industrial sheet metal shop.I can make about anything out of metal or wood too for that matter.But I will need my computer guru (my 15 year old daughter)to download some photos to better show you.
    The web site you provided looked like a good set up.I believe that we get what we pay for ,usually....those double rollers looked like they are hot dipped galvanized and that good.Mine are paint steel and the side guide is also a roller.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I am a custom fabricator at a large industrial sheet metal shop.I can make about anything out of metal or wood too for that matter.But I will need my computer guru (my 15 year old daughter)to download some photos to better show you.
    The web site you provided looked like a good set up.I believe that we get what we pay for ,usually....those double rollers looked like they are hot dipped galvanized and that good.Mine are paint steel and the side guide is also a roller.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I think he said they were just powder coated but I could be wrong. I am sure they are worth every penny if I had that many pennies.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Unfortunately with hobbies ,"If you can't afford the horns and whistles,you feel disappointed."

But that attitude can be re focused if you don't worry about the small stuff.............. icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Ok! I just did this on my Trailex trailer. I also did the leaf springs. Trailex trailers are nice but entirely custom to the manufacturer. They make all there parts. The rollers were a nightmare. Of course I was trying to save some money by using most of the original parts. Anyway, Trailex presses the roller axle ends in place with the aluminum braces. What a freaking pain in the butt. The axle ends are a smaller diameter than the roller portion. Meaning the ends are 3/8" and fit in the brackets. The axle is actually 1/2" in diameter. I had to grind the flared axle ends down enough to get the flanges off. I went to Academy Sports and bought replacement axles and rollers and reinstalled them. They use a stop cap to retain the axle. I really hope this helps someone because I had to figure this one out the hard way.

Trailex told me that the original leaf springs were three leaf rated at 500 lbs. They now use two leaf set. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about Trailex trailers. Mine is a '83 and I've slowly been replacing all the non aluminum parts.

Martin

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.