Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 - how much water in hull is considered normal?  Bottom

• Hey, I would really appreciate it if some of you seasoned cat owners could help me out. I'm just looking at buying my first cat ever (a used Nacra 5.0) that was built in the early 80's. The seller has told me that the boat stays almost dry during normal sailing but may take on as much as 3 cups of water icon_eek per hull after a full day of heavy sailing. Is this considered normal icon_confused or should I steer away from buying this boat? Many thanks!!
  • Yes, that is acceptable, but with a little work you may be able to reduce even that amount.
  • That is even a bit low for a early 80s boat. When I started my 5.2 took on closer to a full gallon. I've sealed up all the rivets,shroud tangs, etc. and replaced the drain plugs and reduced that to about 2-3 cups a day.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Like they said...you can get it totally dry if you work at it enough, but it's probably a bit better than average as it is.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Thank you all for replying!! I will see what I can do to improve but glad to hear that this is not abnormal!

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marc C.
    Cleveland, Ohio.
    Current love: Nacra 5.0
    Old loves: Int Laser, Int Europe, Int 470, Int 420, Vaurien
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
  • Don't worry about sealing it airtight. It is good to have a small leakage, as that will allow air pressure to stabilise with changes in temperature.
    My N5.7 leaks a bit from the tangs where the shourds attach. Things flex a bit in this area when under load, & marine silicon didn't stick well enough to completely seal it. Generally it only leaks when lying on its side....now how could that happen?
    The 5.7 is almost the same boat as your 5.0, just a bit longer. If the gaskets on the hull plugs are old, change them out. seal where the bridle wires attach to the hull fittings, & put a dab of sealant into each of the hollow rivets that hold the tramp tracks to each hull. I left one rivet on each hull unsealed, to act as a pressure relief.
    Don't worry about a couple of cups/day.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177Don't worry about sealing it airtight. It is good to have a small leakage, as that will allow air pressure to stabilise with changes in temperature.
    My N5.7 leaks a bit from the tangs where the shourds attach. Things flex a bit in this area when under load, & marine silicon didn't stick well enough to completely seal it. Generally it only leaks when lying on its side....now how could that happen?
    The 5.7 is almost the same boat as your 5.0, just a bit longer. If the gaskets on the hull plugs are old, change them out. seal where the bridle wires attach to the hull fittings, & put a dab of sealant into each of the hollow rivets that hold the tramp tracks to each hull. I left one rivet on each hull unsealed, to act as a pressure relief.
    Don't worry about a couple of cups/day.

Water in 5.7 hulls?
    I just checked mine and found a gallon or so in one and a cup or so in the other. It took some big time bow elevation to get it out but I think I have it. This boat hasn't been sailed in several years.
    When you mentioned hull plugs were you referring to the plugs below the water line or the deck ports?
    What are the 6" access ports on the rear deck called? Should they caps have O-rings? Mine don't, what size is so? I kept it under roof through the winter but it has been out in the elements for a month or so and I didn't have them snugged down tight. I thought some of the water might be coming in there. I'll check some of the other points made here.
    Thanks for threads like this.
    Scott

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • A gallon is nothing in those hulls. The 5.7s are hard to get completely dry because you have to raise the bows so high to empty them.

Chris is talking about the plugs on the transom below the water line. The access ports are inspection ports. Some Nacras have them behind each beam front and rear or just front's or rear ones. They are handy to see if you are leaking. I wouldn't worry too much about the O rings. Replace them when it is convenient but you can live without them as long as the lids are tight.

The water can get in from multiple places, the inspection ports, the seal where the decks meet the hull and where the hardware is attached. Or it could have been left over from the last sail, the hulls don't dry out easily. A good thing to do is at the beginning of the season is to get a couple of tubes of 3M 4200 and some masking tape. Tape over all of the seams and use a razor blade to cut a line exposing the seams. Caulk a nice bead smooth it out, let the sealant to dry for a few hours then remove the tape for a neat seam line. While you are at it seal the top of your mast around the casting at at the hardware including the pop rivets. Then when you sail and you get water in the hulls you will know where it isn't coming from and you are ready for a capsize with a bouyant mast.

You can also check the bull bottoms especially where the skeg starts. That is where most of the wear happens and where you will see holes develop first. Catch the wear spots before they go through the glasss and you can prevent having to do any fiberglass with a marine tex wear stip. Even if you do get some wear spot repairing it isn't a big deal with a West System repair pack or two.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • A few cups of water is no big deal.

I keep a sponge handy, on the 5.5 the drains are not at the bottom of the hull so I just open the rear port and sponge out the water. I get a little every time, nothing too concerning a couple of cups. I would prefer they not be air tight, too much change in temperature. If the air is 90 and the water 60 that will make a big change in hull pressure. JMHO, YMMV, RIcardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • QuoteWhen you mentioned hull plugs were you referring to the plugs below the water line or the deck ports

I was talking hull plugs below the waterline. When we first got our 5.0, I pitchpoled it one day, when it really should not have gone over. Turned out there was 5 gal of water in the hull, when that rushed forward, the bows dove for China.
    We searched with soapy water & slight pressurization of the hull. Turned out the screw plug leaked like a sieve! Changed that out & now it's 1/2 cup after a hard day.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.