Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hull finsih/Gel Coat  Bottom

• Well, I got my P-18 going and took her out for a maiden voyage this past weekend. Now I'm hooked. It is now easier to convince myself to put some money into her (if needed). My question is that it is a '81 that looks as though it has never been waxed in its life. I can get the oxidation off with a rubbing compound but the gel coat is very weathered. When I peeled off the remaining pin stripe, the part that was under the sticker was noticeably "higher" (ie. thicker gel coat/finish coat). What would you guys recommend between rubbing compound/wax, spray new coat, paint, etc... Thanks

Travis
  • Oh yeah, another option is to leave it how it has been for the last 30 years and quit worrying.
  • twilliams.907Oh yeah, another option is to leave it how it has been for the last 30 years and quit worrying.

I like this option the best. Of course, it's easier said than done.

If I'd taken all the money I unnecessarily spent on my boats over the last few years and used that to upgrade to a new boat, I'd have a boat that didn't need any upgrades.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Congrats on the new boat.

This thread might be helpful. In particular the response by Jeremy Leonard of Surf City Catamarans.

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…ewtopic.php?f=14&t=33021

He has a video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74sEyot5A_o

Edited by DaveW70 on Mar 16, 2011 - 06:20 PM.

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • Travis, this is what I use and cannot recommend it enough http://www.poliglow-int.com/. The kit comes with Poliprep which will remove oxidization but if it is as heavy as you say, use 800-1000 grit waterpaper and a orbital sander to remove oxidization, this will be the one and only time you will have to do this, then use poliprep. Apply Poliglow which is a clearcoat, 4-6 coats, and you will be amazed at the finish. AND.....you only have to do this once every 2-3 years and this one kit will do your cat 3 times. Tar and bug juice wipe off with soap and water, mud line is a thing of the past

Dunno why anyone would still be using wax to detail their boat...... boohoo

icon_lol

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • PS, you want the Poliglow Boat Polish Kit http://www.poliglow-int.com/poliglow.phtml, free S&H untill 3/31/2011

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbohoboDunno why anyone would still be using wax to detail their boat...

Poliglow applications must adhere strictly to manufacturer's instructions to look good initially. Over time it can chip or peal. It can turn yellow which is particularly noticeable on white hulls. Polyglow recommends recoating every six months. It is also a major PITA to remove. Don't know of any boat yards that recommend it around here. YMMV

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • I would never use poliglow just because of their horrible website.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Here's all you really need to know about compounding, waxing, and polishing gel-coat:

http://www.sailnet.com/fo…compound-polish-wax.html
  • Every product you purchase has a disclaimer in tiny letters about the use/misuse of the product, if applied correctly the product will live up to expectations, no different with Poliglow. I have used it with satisfactory results especially with sailing the muddy lakes of the midwest. Just finished applying Poliglow to my P18 and my hulls are.......WHITE

It"s not the website that sells products, it's the product, if you are making a decision based on the apperance of the website then you are a product of our advertisement-driven media, may we as sailors never become part of the establishment.

My opinion was based on my experience with Poliglow, I used to wax and polish and spent many hrs on many week-ends buffing my hulls only to have a mud-line appear after every sail that was almost impossible to remove due to being absorbed by the wax. I am too busy to waste that sort of time or that kind of effort so I tried Poliglow and followed the manufacturer's instructions and the results were impressive. The resulting high gloss shine on my hulls was awesome and the mud-line just wiped off with a damp cloth. Due to the fact that I have to trailer min 1.5 hrs to the nearest lake an added bonus I found was that bug juice and tar spots also wiped off with damp cloth, so now I spend less time detailing my cat and more time sailing.

If you spend the time in prep, (which is a one-time effort), wet-sand the hulls to remove oxidization, use Poliprep, a mild acid wash to remove all residues, apply Poliglow, all per manufacturer's instructions, the resulting finish is great. And you only have to apply Poliglow once every sailing season, you do not need to prep ever again, only re-apply Poliglow. And IF you do want to remove Poliglow, Poliprep will do the job for you when diluted to a higher concentrate. So it was a win/win situation for me and that is why I highly recommend Poliglow, it is not a wax, it is a High Gloss Clearcoat that protects your hulls.

I am pretty anal about how my cat looks........ hail

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Every product you purchase has a disclaimer in tiny letters about the use/misuse of the product, if applied correctly the product will live up to expectations, no different with Poliglow. I have used it with satisfactory results especially with sailing the muddy lakes of the midwest. Just finished applying Poliglow to my P18 and my hulls are.......WHITE

It"s not the website that sells products, it's the product, if you are making a decision based on the apperance of the website then you are a product of our advertisement-driven media, may we as sailors never become part of the establishment.

My opinion was based on my experience with Poliglow, I used to wax and polish and spent many hrs on many week-ends buffing my hulls only to have a mud-line appear after every sail that was almost impossible to remove due to being absorbed by the wax. I am too busy to waste that sort of time or that kind of effort so I tried Poliglow and followed the manufacturer's instructions and the results were impressive. The resulting high gloss shine on my hulls was awesome and the mud-line just wiped off with a damp cloth. Due to the fact that I have to trailer min 1.5 hrs to the nearest lake an added bonus I found was that bug juice and tar spots also wiped off with damp cloth, so now I spend less time detailing my cat and more time sailing.

If you spend the time in prep, (which is a one-time effort), wet-sand the hulls to remove oxidization, use Poliprep, a mild acid wash to remove all residues, apply Poliglow, all per manufacturer's instructions, the resulting finish is great. And you only have to apply Poliglow once every sailing season, you do not need to prep ever again, only re-apply Poliglow. And IF you do want to remove Poliglow, Poliprep will do the job for you when diluted to a higher concentrate. So it was a win/win situation for me and that is why I highly recommend Poliglow, it is not a wax, it is a High Gloss Clearcoat that protects your hulls.

I am pretty anal about how my cat looks........ hail

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Hmmm! not too sure why that posted twice, my apologies.

YMMV?

Edited by turbohobo on Mar 18, 2011 - 10:39 AM.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Been reading this post with interest as I have redone a few hulls in my day. Here's a no fuss cheap way getting a hull that will shine like wet glass. Get a bucket of warm water and add a few drops of Dawn liquid dish soap. Use this to wet sand the hulls with 2000 grit paper. This will take care of oxidation, dirt, that nasty black pollution residue etc. Rinse and dry, then HAND BUFF with MEGUIARS ULTIMATE COMPOUND. I don't know what's in this stuff but it works wonders. Also, it seems to work better by hand than using a power buffer. Now the naked finish needs protection and MOTHERS CALIFORNIA GOLD carnuba cleaner wax hand buffed will give you a mirror finish. Did this with my 5.7 a couple years ago and people comment on how "new" it looks. If there's any gel coat left at all this will bring it right back, also works on your vinyl stripes!
  • turbohoboPS, you want the Poliglow Boat Polish Kit http://www.poliglow-int.com/poliglow.phtml, free S&H untill 3/31/2011

After years of getting mocked at regattas for a dingy boat or even a bathtub ring from lake sailing I used a Poliglow kit on my H18 at the beginning of last season and it was awesome, looked like fresh new shiny hulls and stayed that way. I plan to put another couple of coats on soon, still have half the original bottle.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.