Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach Storage Question  Bottom

• I recently found someone who is willing to let me store my H18sx, mast up, on the beach. I was really excited about it, but the more I think about it, the more it worries me. I understand how to anchor it properly, and that's not a problem, but my main concern is theft of the many expensive parts, big and small (wings, quick-pins, shackles, etc.).
    Also, vandalism in its many forms. I've got a pristine tramp, and overall the boat is in beautiful condition. I just don't want it to get beat to sh#t out there. If anyone is familiar, it's in the Treasure Island/St.Pete Beach area in Florida.
    If you can share any experiences with this kind of setup, good or bad, it would be much appreciated.
  • yup its a risk and trade-offs for the convenience of mast up beach storage.

your risking everything you mention. if it's public access with lots of traffic, ... more risk. If it is private property, you are a little safer but still a risk.

we have had cats pushed into the gulf off our causeway overnight (found floating the next day, wheels still under it), condoms on our tramps, beer cans in our hulls, someone filled my friends hulls, tramp pockets, etc with sand.. built a pile on everything..

Some guys here at Dunedin causeway (few) remove everything they can (rudders/jib/jibsheets/etc) even for overnight storage.
  • flacoI recently found someone who is willing to let me store my H18sx, mast up, on the beach. I was really excited about it, but the more I think about it, the more it worries me. I understand how to anchor it properly, and that's not a problem, but my main concern is theft of the many expensive parts, big and small (wings, quick-pins, shackles, etc.).
    Also, vandalism in its many forms. I've got a pristine tramp, and overall the boat is in beautiful condition. I just don't want it to get beat to sh#t out there. If anyone is familiar, it's in the Treasure Island/St.Pete Beach area in Florida.

if you can share any experiences with this kind of setup, good or bad, it would be much appreciated.

The few times I've left my cat on the beach I used padlocks in place of the quick pins so the rig couldn't be dropped. An 18 should have a tensioned rig and can be downright difficult to take any pin out under tension.

Obviously take sails, boom, wings, and rudders with you. That basically leaves the only risk of outright malicious vandalism of the tramp and the hulls.

Get you one of those motion activated game camera's to hide in the dune/ sea oats so you can get pictures of any perps.

I'd leave mine on the beach more often except that I can't stand not giving my cat's a bath after each use in saltwater.
  • Sounds like a tough predicament. I fortunately have mast up storage near the beach with my H 21SE. But not too long ago I had an 18 Solcat that had to be towed every ware and rigged and de-rigged every outing. It felt like so much work that I ended up not going sailing more often than not. With mast up beach storage I think it’s going to be very different. Takes a couple of minutes of set up and then you hit the water, with just as much ease when you are done and ready to park it. I know you have concerns with vandalism, but I would ask myself “Do I want to go sailing more?” I mean after all at the end of the day, what good is a pristine boat if it never gets wet?
  • I have always stored my boats on the beachs where I have lived, many of them brand new, on St Thomas, Maui, Syracuse New York, 3 different beachs in South Florida. I have never taken off my rudders, always put real tie downs (5 gallon bucket filled with concrete, buried 3 feet deep with a chain to lock my cat tracks and the boat) almost always had a full cover on the boat. I have had few if any problems. Some people are just a bit paranoid when it comes to leaving thier boat on the beach. Like Thunderjeep said you will sail much more with a lot less effort with the boat stored mast up. If I had to trailer my boat I doubt that I would sail 6 plus times a month as I do now, and the weekends I do not sail I still go the the beach and watch other friends sail. Boats are made to be on the water, not in the driveway.
  • Sorry, I forgot, I also stored my nacra 5.8 on the beach in Sarasota, Florida, with no problems.
  • @graytonsailor:

With no water on the beach, we rinsed boats with a pump sprayer. I refer to the kind for insecticide etc
  • Get boat insurance, it's cheap. I pay a few hundred a year which includes theft.

Just bear in mind that guy in Sarasota last year who lost (and eventually recovered) his I-20 to vandals.
  • How many cars are stolen each year, but we all still own one. I will bet it is a much, much greater number.
  • my old h-16 got trashed on the beach by vandals...real bad. got it fixed up again and katrina hit and it got destroyed again except this time it was 1.5 miles off of the beach in a garage...if the thunder don't get ya then tha lightning will.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks for the replies, still don't know what to do, but they've been a big help.
  • why don't you look into Gulfport YC there in south St. Pete? I think they're cat friendly, may have mast up storage. Would mean joining a YC, of course...

http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/

I certainly wouldn't leave my boat as the 'lone wolf' on the beach...

If you leave it on the beach, try to do so w/lots of other cats... and LOTS and LOTS of folks looking after eachother's boats... and cops going by all the time, a very high traffic, high vis place. Even then, take blocks off, and lock up sails, boards, etc, etc... there's nothing but the hulls. Anchor front and rear securely.

Edited by robpatt on Mar 03, 2011 - 03:46 PM.
  • I am planning on storing my H16 for a few weeks at time this summer on Tresure Island. It'll be behind a private condo with no public access nearby. Still a risk, but I think I'm gonna take it. There may be ways to lower the risk by lightning up the area or a fake security device. Gotta be something that will keep people away.

--
    H16 / Tampa-St pete
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.