Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any sailors in Chile?  Bottom

• I've got a 56 hr layover in Santiago, mid December. I'm thinking of renting a car & driving Hwy 68 to Valparaiso & Vina del Mar, staying overnight, then going back to SCL the next afternoon.
    I see that area has lots of resorts. Is it possible to rent a Cat for a day around there?
    Is it doable as a day trip to go north of Vina del Mar, & take another route back to SCL?

PS Tami, if you're out there, I don't know if the PM worked, I got the box, it's perfect for what I need, Thanks.

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 27, 2010 - 04:02 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Sounds like a cool trip, if it works out be sure and take pictures and give us a report!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hi,

The trip from Santiago to viña del mar would only take about 1,3hrs, but it could take much longer if you stop by the nice vine yards in Casablanca, if you like wine and good food it's a nice place to stop by..

You can rent a small car @ the airport for around US$100.

You can easily make Santiago, route 68 to Casablanca, Valparaiso, Viña del Mar, Con Con, Cachagua, Maitencillo, Papudo and then connect to Rute 5 and drive back to Santiago by the north.

That trip would take the hole day, if you have time I recommend to stay the night in Viña del Mar enjoy the night life and continue the route...

The is a strong fleet of catamarans in Chile, but we sail more on the lakes...

You would love Chile, specially on this time of the year.

Have a safe trip!

Ed
  • Thanks for the info, I plan on overnighting somewhere on the coast. My 19 yr old daughter is going to come along, so I'm sure "nightlife" will trump.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I am planning a trip in South America for next year with my girlfriend and another girl, neither of which are sailors (but they're cute icon_smile . We will be in Bueons Aires for 1 month from Febuary 23rd 2011 then travelling from about March 23rd for about 2 weeks. We plan to go to Santiago Chile then overland to Cuzco or Lima Peru and fly back to Buenos Aires for the flight back home to Bangkok. Where would be the good places to stop off along the way and possibly get some sailing in ? We are all food and wine lovers that appreciate interesting places, other cultures etc.

many thanks in advance.

best regards
    damian
  • There are a lot of Prindles in Chile as they don´t import Hobies. Try mcisternasb at gmail.com or hotmail.com Pete
  • Ealvayayo was right, there are not many (any?) Cats on the ocean. Drove to Valparaiso & up the beaches to Con Con. Could barely hang onto our Chevy Spark, what with its 13" wheels & screaming 3 cylinders of raw power!
    Beautiful country,looks much like the interior of British Columbia,or California, mid to high 80's, but the water is freezing. The Humbolt current upwells cold water all year long. Looks like the tourist season is not quite started. Most beach vendors are still closed & none of the lifegaurd stations were manned. Only saw a few kids on boogie boards,(and full wet suits) and one vendor renting boards.
    Oh well, the cerveza was bien fria,the wine good & the sun warm. I'll have to look into inland waters within an hour or two of Santiago & give it another try sometime in the New Year.
    For the rest of today I'll just have to suffer the indignity of hanging around the pool, resting up for the long flight home tonight, & back to the reality of winter.

Edited by Edchris177 on Dec 22, 2010 - 07:28 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.