Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

QUestions  Bottom

• OK- I'm putting my 5.2 away for the winter after a great day sailing on lake Hartwell this past weekend. I have a couple of issues to address before the spring comes.

1. I broke the zipper mechanism off of my jib (the teeth are still in great shape) Is there a way to replace the zipper thingy (loss of a better word) without replacing the entire zipper or sail? I was trying to chase down a trimaran on Saturday but came up short due to passenger load (3 adults) and the absence of my jib- boo!

2. This is the first boat I have owned that has a main sheet traveler. I have experimented with adjustments, but am unfamiliar with its proper application (beating/running/reaching- light vs heavy wind). Help?

3. Are there times where one should adjust the downhaul? I usually set it and forget it.

4. The newer mast step for the 5.2 with the pin is wonderful! If you have the old design; get rid of it and replace it with the new. Much easier raising and lowering the mast.

Is there some place I can send my sails to be serviced - i.e. repaired, re-grommeted, cleaned, etc? They are still in good shape (extra crispy :)) and I can't justify replacing them yet.

Happy winter, all!

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • Try http://www.sailcare.com for your sails

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Try my post "Need a Jib Zipper?" on Aug 16 in Technical Help. There is a link to a zipper company that makes Jib zippers. Maybe they can help with your "Thingy".

I grew up in Greenville. Love Hartwell, would love to get back to that part of the country.

Edited by sailinagin on Nov 02, 2010 - 02:35 PM.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Some quick answers:
    1. A sailmaker can replace the zipper car for a few buck. Possibly and upholsterer also.

2. Close Hauled - traveled in all the way and adjust course to keep the telltales flowing evenly. Travel out a couple of inches if it is really windy.
    Reaching - traveled between fully centered and half way out depending on the wind. THe windier it is the more you want to travel out to depower.
    Running - You want it travelled out about half way. If you are Running very deep then you can travel out all the way and let out the main sheet until the sail touches the shroud. THis is really slow though and you are better off running about 30 degrees off straight downwind.
    Check out Rick White's book or Rick Berman's for more detailed advice.

3. If you have an older 5.2 with straight spreaders and a 3:1 downhaul then you normally just downhaul enough to get the wrinkles out of the sail. If it is very wind you can downhaul tighter to depower a bit, but it has a very limited effect, basically just set it and forget it. If you have the swept back spreaders and a 5:1 or better downhaul then (as long as your sail is designed for it) you can really reef on the downhaul to bend the mast backward. This flattens the sail and depowers it for windy conditions.

4. You are correct, its a much better system.

See Turbohobo's response above.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.