Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 vs Hobie 18 Magnum  Bottom

• Hello. Is someone able to tell me the difference between a Hobie 18 and a Hobie 18 Magnum? I am looking at purchasing a Hobie 18 (no wings - but apparently had them at one time) but want to be sure that i can attach a trapeeze / harness etc...in the future. I am a cruiser turned beachcat sailor and am a bit stunned when i comes to Hobies. I appreciate your help!

Pivo
  • The Hobie 18 was designed to be fast but rugged, it's ability to withstand abuse is legendary. Wings were/are available on the Hobie 18 on 2 models, shorter wings were made available on the Hobie 18 Magnum, and the Hobie 18 SX used a longer set of wings . The mast on the SX was also about 19 inches taller than the Magnum. The Hobie 18 comes in 3 models and the base model, the standard Hobie 18, does not have wings.

PS, all 3 models can and do carry trap wires, as a 2 man catamaran, it is almost a neccessity.

Edited by turbohobo on Oct 21, 2010 - 09:35 AM.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • A Hobie Magnum was basically a base Hobie 18 plus the shorter welded constructin wings. These were from the mid 80's primarily. The Hobie 18SX, has the longer riveted together wings, taller mast, Mylar sail and was available with a big spin. All three came with a trapeeze setup for two. Using the trapeeze with the wings is a lot of fun.

The wings make the boat feel more like a cruiser when the weather is fairly calm (more places to sit, and more comfortable in my opinion), and provide increased stability and leverage when the wind picks up. They do add weight to the boat however.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Thanks very much. So with a mid 1980s Hobie 18, i should have no issues adding the trapeeze and might be able to add wings...correct? Very much appreciate your help!
  • Yes, but i'd go for a H18 Magnum.
    It all depend's on what your price range is...

Damon has a H18 Magnum, So it'd probably be a good idea to ask him for some details.

pivoThanks very much. So with a mid 1980s Hobie 18, i should have no issues adding the trapeeze and might be able to add wings...correct? Very much appreciate your help!

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Yes, i would prefer a Magnum but they are hard to find in the Northwest. If anyone is selling one, please let me know. The Hobie 18 i am looking at is very clean; just missing the wings (and some other toys).

Pivo
  • Have you checked the classified ads?

pivoYes, i would prefer a Magnum but they are hard to find in the Northwest. If anyone is selling one, please let me know. The Hobie 18 i am looking at is very clean; just missing the wings (and some other toys).

Pivo

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • ~~ Hello Pivo,, Welcome to the group, alotta good info in here.... What year is that 18?? Look to see or ask if it has the "old style rudders" there ok--but don't beach it, pop them up first or they just might break.... The 18's are fast... any of them Hobies, Prindles, Nacras..... so if this is yer first cat hold on for a ride, If yer gonna to solo go out in easy air untill ya get used to it.
    I've had 4 guys on mine and had no trouble flyin a hull with white knuckles..... Trap lines are a must and gives ya more control over the boat... I don't suggest a spin yet, get used to the boat......

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • ~~ You should have no trouble addin the wings,,,, well ya might havta work at it. I think ya might havta take one of the hulls off to get the "threaded slugs" in to the slot them get them into position..... But for now just sail it and have FUN!!!!!!!!! Do the wings some other time. ~~~~~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • If you really want wings, hold out for a boat with them. Even when they do show up used(not often) they're rarely cheap. Watch these classifieds, and the ones on catsailor.com, and be prepared to spend a few hundred dollars driving some distance to get the boat you want.

Dave
  • If you really want wings, hold out for a boat with them. Even when they do show up used(not often) they're rarely cheap. Watch these classifieds, and the ones on catsailor.com, and be prepared to spend a few hundred dollars driving some distance to get the boat you want.

Dave

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.