Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New Improved Classified Ads  Bottom

• I've just launched some upgrades on the classifieds
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/

• Larger thumbnails
    • Larger main picture
    • Now you get 9 pictures with each ad (instead of 6)
    • Description box now has simple WYSIWYG editor to make it easy to produce a nice looking ad with bullet lists, bold, underlies, etc.
    • Canadian postal codes now work with mileage estimates
    • Zip/Postal codes are translated to the city on category lists to make it easier to know where an item is located.
    • Probably some other stuff I've forgotten about, it's all new but meant to work as much like the old one as possible.

Let me know what you think.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I guess it must work ok.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I just bought a couple cats, so I'm only checking it once a day or so right now, but I really like the city being listed in the ad as much as any other improvement. Thanks for all your efforts.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleI just bought a couple cats, so I'm only checking it once a day or so right now, but I really like the city being listed in the ad as much as any other improvement. Thanks for all your efforts.

Things like that come from suggestions from our members, so never hesitate to mention something you would like, or like done differently. It might take a while but I don't forget suggestions.

Some things turn out to be much more difficult than it seems they should be. For instance in the classifieds there are a good number of ads from Canada, but I only had Zip Code distance search for USA. It turns out that Canada has over 700,000 post codes where the USA has about 75,000 Zip Codes, so it vastly increased the size of the postal code table. It was also hard to find a good source of data for Canada Post Codes with lat/long info attached.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Could you add a "latest posts" page for the classifieds similar to the forum page? I really like the latest posts functionality from the forum tab at the top of the site. I also cruise the classified to see what is new, but don't usually go to each of the different categories to check each one.

Keep up the good work.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Wow, I had no idea that with 1/10 of your population we had nearly 10 times the codes. I do know that even the house across the street from me has a different code.
    Thanks for putting those in, I used to have to input a Niagara Falls code, then add the difference.
    I have used the classifieds to buy some major parts, & last month sent two fellows there who were looking for H14 parts & had no idea this site existed.
    I think the US system is simpler, but using 5 numbers gives far less unique codes than using letters...of course the question remains, why did we need that many codes?
    For anyone wondering whether a digit in our code is a "O" or a Zero, the format is always:
    Letter/Number/Letter-Number/Letter/Number ir T0L 0Z0

Edited by Edchris177 on Jan 05, 2011 - 07:40 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • smfinleyCould you add a "latest posts" page for the classifieds similar to the forum page?

On the Classifieds main page
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/
    below the list of categories are three rows of thumbnail "recent ads" from all categories. Note that only ads with pictures will show here.

You can also "subscribe" to categories and be notified by email whenever a new ad is posted. The link says "subscribe to category" and is at the bottom of each category list.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • smfinleyCould you add a "latest posts" page for the classifieds similar to the forum page?

Also on the main classified as well as category pages are several links to see all ads from the last 1-7-14 days.

Recent Ads
    last day
    last 7 days
    last 14 days

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.