Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 Trap on Nacra 5.2?  Bottom

• Hi All - I think I'm about to buy a new Nacra 5.2 tomorrow. Going to drive out and look at it and if it's what I'm expecting, I'll drive away with a new boat. The Nacra has a single trap set-up as it's all original stock parts - I'm buying from original owner. It's a 1981. I have a 1972 Prindle 16 with a new double trap set-up bought through Murray's last summer. Will I be able to move the double trap set-up from the Prindle to the Nacra? (i hope so!)

Thanks!

--
    Scott
    1982 Nacra 5.2 "Great White"
    Ledbetter Beach, Santa Barbara, CA
    --
  • Just measure the length of the Nacra trap wires and if the P16 trap wires are close, go for it.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • The great thing about trap wires is that if they are too short just add line

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • the oem single trap wires on the 5.2 were swaged in with the sidestays

they were for crew so are slightly shorter than ideal for the helm

as said line will make up any difference

check the type of trapeze handle on the 5.2, if it the triangular type with 2 sides of stainless and the bottom the black plastic grip thing twice about keeping them...

on that style you end up being suspended from a plastic lug under the plastic handle...after 30 years the plastic is likely too weak to depend on

1 of mine failed while i was on trap and dropped me in the water. fortunately i reflexly clutched on tighter to the sheet and rudder so the boat didn't sail away and the wind wasn't strong enough to flip the boat

but i did end up twisting and crimping the end of the telescopic tiller extension. was able to shorten it and get it to work again but it's a tad shorter than ideal

this winter i'm planing on switching both sides to the more normal black plastic T style
  • Thanks eerice i looked at mine and that is what is going to happen. Add to my winter jobs.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Thanks for the responses! I've now added a Nacra 5.2 to my flotilla. I'm going to be sad to sell the Prindle (don't have space or the $ to store both), but am looking forward to learning the ropes on my new boat. Will be trying to switch out the trap set-up hopefully during the week but for sure this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out!

--
    Scott
    1982 Nacra 5.2 "Great White"
    Ledbetter Beach, Santa Barbara, CA
    --
  • as the grandfather to the f18, the 5.2 is a great stepping stone to newer boats

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.