Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Flying a hull  Bottom

• Is it more difficult to fly a hull in medium winds on a 5.2 than a p16 or a h16? Any suggestions

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Most 5.2s have a very choked slot. Unless the goal is to point as high as possible you need to pull the jib out a bit.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • the h-16 is king daddy for hull flying, my p-16 takes a little more wind(~15kts) to get going...i love the hobie for hull flying/extreme(sometimes extremely bad) sailing...it gets a little hairy in a blow and seas, that whole pitch pole thing, but thats half the fun of it.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • From my experience, the Nacra 5.2 hulls come up quicker than the H16, but more importantly, with the daggers I have a completely new level of control and stability, so I can keep it up on one hull for much longer. I sail on a small finger lake in Ohio, so winds are constantly shifting, so the 5.2's responsiveness and control is a vast improvement over the H16. With the H16, I always felt like it was a temporary balance, not as stable.

Not sure what Robs "narrower slot" means re: the ability to fly a hull...? My Nacra 5.2 has the fore and aft jib leads, not side to side, so I can't open the slot, except by letting the jib sheet out. The factory located jib leads / slot seems about right to me.

I have to say, the single best investment I made in my boat was a high quality wind direction indicator, like a Davis or Velocat. Now when I'm flying a hull, I can really follow the wind shifts and maintain boat speed and keep that hull up. Its all about maintaining boat speed. Highly recommended.
    Hey H16 or 5.2 ? - its all good!
    cheers,
    Graham
  • QuoteNot sure what Robs "narrower slot" means re: the ability to fly a hull...? My Nacra 5.2 has the fore and aft jib leads, not side to side, so I can't open the slot, except by letting the jib sheet out. The factory located jib leads / slot seems about right to me.

I think if you tried it with a barberhauler you'd see what I mean.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.