Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Light thru bottom of Hull w/ pic  Bottom

• This is on both hulls just in front of dagger well. The hulls feel very solid, not thin.

Is this a problem?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76490&g2_

edited by: sailinagin, Sep 23, 2010 - 10:10 AM

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • it might be a problem getting on the wire from in there icon_biggrin i got this too. i think its just the loss of paint, fiberglass is clear to begin with

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Dude, for me you have no idea how much of a problem that would be!! icon_lol icon_eek

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Mine has similar spots, and it apears to be where the gelcoat is worn off. Don't think it is a structural issue if the hull is still solid.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • My hulls look the same. Still no problem sailing or beaching. icon_cool

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • check the outside bottom curve for glass wear... if worn put on some glass...esp if you spend time beaching, dragging through sand.. the hulls are only about 1/8 thick (w/no foam core on the bottoms).

• Mine has it too. The guy in our group who has been sailing the longest puts a layer of marine tex on the bottom of his hulls every year in the off season to prevent beach wear I guess because its cheap and easy to use epoxy and prevents wear on his hulls.
  • very basically, as i see it

frp is basically a yellowish clear colour, it only stops being this colour when it is covered in non-structural gelcoat

as the boat gets pulled up and down the beach the gelcoat gets worn off first, showing the clear yellowish frp under it

at this stage it's easiest to just flip the boat over, mix up a little white? gelcoat and brush it along the keel-line to recover the exposed frp

if this isn't done, continued dragging on the beach will start wearing the frp resin off until eventually the glass fibres will be poking out of the resin

if that happens things are getting weaker. if it's only a few fibres missing more resin can be brushed over and then covered with gelcoat

if a whole layer of glass-fibres have been worn off then a whole new layer should be added. this is quite a big job and can be done with many different fibres, like kevlar etc. and resins, like epoxy

edited by: erice, Sep 24, 2010 - 10:21 AM
  • Thank you erice, good points. I think I am at stage one now as it does not appear, feel or sound different from other parts of the . I will put the gelcoat coat (yellow) on my list of off season projects.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • i'll probably do mine again next spring too, on a nice, dry warm day

with the hulls upside down and level i'll sand the exposed frp on the keel-line, to it give some tooth, maybe #120 grit, then wipe off the dust with a cloth, then wet wipe it again with acetone, which is an excellent degreaser and the solvent for most polyester based gelcoats

the acetone will dry off almost as fast as you wipe it on

then due to the nasty toxicity of polyester catalyst the surgical style rubber gloves go on and with a calibrated dropper i'll drop in 1ml of catalyst/hardner into 100ml of gelcoat. don't really need that much but trying to measure less than a 1ml is more difficult than it's worth

with a cheap 1 inch paint brush i'll fore/aft brush the gelcoat over the yellowish frp on to 1 hull, then the other. wait 5min? and do it again. and keep repeating until i run out or the gelcoat kicks and gets too tacky to brush smoothly

takes about an hour, costs about $10?, lasts 2 or 3 years of average sailing, for me anyway

edited by: erice, Sep 24, 2010 - 05:25 PM
  • Hey,

This is what I did to my Prindle 16, same issue,
    thought the bottom might be getting a little thin from beaching. Used 3M fiberglass resin jelly. Sanded bottom with #120 and applied jelly. Much easier to work with than liquid resin and goes on much thicker. Sanded down to new profile with orbital sander...Then I taped off 4 inches up the keel and sprayed it with black pickup truck liner spray from a rattle can, black, 2 coats, got it at the auto parts store, used it just like bottom paint. Works great! I sail off of the beach. This stuff is tough. Sand dragging and beaching no problem now.

dmcat1
  • dmcat1 Used 3M fiberglass resin jelly. Sanded bottom with #120 and applied jelly. Much easier to work with than liquid resin and goes on much thicker. Sanded down to new profile with orbital sander...
    dmcat1

Hmm.. 3M resin fiberglass jelly... I wonder how that would work to build up the mildly flat spots on the front of the hull.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76482&g2_

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Hey,

Aside from redoing the bottom I also filled in a small quarter size soft spot that was there when I bought the boat. Worked just fine. I would use this stuff anywhere
    you have a repair. It is thick enough to build up layers
    quickly and since it doesnt drip all over the place is much easier to work with.

When I repaired my bottom I did it
    on my trailer and just moved the boat back and forth on the
    rollers. I did not even have to flip the hulls upside down
    to apply this stuff. It just sticks. Make sure you mix it right with the hardener and only mix what you can apply in 5 minutes or so. It sets up really quick. Good luck, it worked great for me.

dmcat1
  • sailinagin,

I purchased the resin jelly at my local Advanced Auto Parts store in the body repair dept. I have also seen it at Wal Mart in the auto parts dept.

dmcat1
  • I forgot to tell you this stuff is not clear, but as I mentioned I put a bottom finish on my boat which covered up the areas that I repaired. If you sail off of the beach, the truck bed liner coating along the keel works great. I have gotten lots of "thats a hell of an idea" from fellow
    cat owners along my stretch of beach.

If you are applying the resin jelly anywhere you want a colored finish, you will have to cover it with a matching paint or use a liquid resin that you can apply a tint to.
    It starts getting tricky when you are trying to match resin colors on faded gel coat.

Good luck.
    dmcat1
  • Yes I was thinking about that as well. I am thinking I could use your system and gel coat it with this stuff...

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76471&g2_

Or some other gel coat for larger areas.

Thanks

edited by: sailinagin, Sep 24, 2010 - 12:14 PM

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.