Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is this really a Nacra?  Bottom

• This is advertised as a Nacra 5.5. It's not a huge detour on the way to my cottage, & my crew is tossing around the idea of getting a Cat so we can have a flotilla of two! ( this would be the "insert Portuguese word for ultra" Segredo Frota)
    It doesn't look quite like a Nacra rudder system, the cross tie is angled & I've never seen a red one. The mast step has a fitting on the beam, & looks like th eball is missing.
    I emailed him asking what year/model of 5.5 it was, & the response was to add the pictures to the ad. Looks like a major repair was done to the inside or starboard hull.
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-Catermaran-in-Good-Shape-Nacra-5-5-W0QQAdIdZ229840150

Yesterday was the 34th day this summer I've sailed my 5.7, to windy to be fun solo today. I think the advice from one poster who counseled that it was too much boat for a beginner, & would spend more time in the driveway than on the water has been put to rest. The water is starting to cool down, can't see making 50 days, but perhaps I can get some of the cosmetic things done. I decided to sail it hard rather than spend time dressing it up to look pretty.

edited by: Edchris177, Sep 18, 2010 - 11:18 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I am not an expert but it looks like it may be a Super G?

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • I have owned 2 Nacra 5.5sl this boat does not look like a one the 5.5 has decks on top and a dolphin striker and the rudders look completely diffrent. The add says he has the sail maybe he could unroll it and see if there are any marking to help figure it out. Did they make many uni rigs in the past?
  • looks like a beater, i love how people throw around the "in good shape" description. hey, doesn't look worse than my boat when i bought it...it was fugly! if its all there and the sails arn't dead and there arn't too many missing hard to find parts, then i would make a modest offer. it would paint up nice.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • coastratand the sails arn't dead
    Looks like a uni rig.
  • Look at the tiller bar, it needs replacing. maybe the the casting and tillers too. the top of the mast is bust as well. all in all not worth more then the sails it comes with.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • the daggers look too small, the deck looks too curved, the rudders are square and swing far too high so the castings must be different, the beam strap system is missing or different, it looks like red gelcoat, all alloy seems anodized, it doesn't appear to have a harken traveller, the tramp attachment to the hull is not via bolt-rope

there is not ONE thing there that looks to be nacra

he knows it isn't a hobie

so has guessed it is the next most common cat

the hull number or sail marking would give a lead as to what it actually was

but it looks like a basket case to me

$500 as a project boat?

• I don't know what that is but it isn't a 5.5. Definitely looks like a boat to steer clear of!!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I didn't thin k it was a Nacra.
    OHMSJ might be the closest. I got the fellow to email me the VIN. "Its vin # is G5N00025M 78L which I think is the year, Nacra 5.5"
    He says he has all the rigging & mast step ball & sail is in excellent condition, but... I might stop & look, just out of curiosity as it's on the way
    I don't recognize the G5N, anyone have an idea, I can't find that code on the USCG database.

edited by: Edchris177, Sep 20, 2010 - 06:35 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • that number seems to imply it was made in 1978 and was #25 in a series of???

might not be many of them around anymore...
  • I'm reasonably sure that's a Supercat 17.

http://www.aquarius-sail.com/

Not built anymore but Aquarius does support their products IIRC

Edit: Supercats are badassed boats. If you can get it for pretty cheap it's worth messing with. Tramp looks ok(ish), tiller xbar bent, no mast ball, wonder what sails look like.

edited by: tami, Sep 20, 2010 - 10:04 AM
  • tamiI'm reasonably sure that's a Supercat 17.

http://www.aquarius-sail.com/

Not built anymore but Aquarius does support their products IIRC

Edit: Supercats are badassed boats. If you can get it for pretty cheap it's worth messing with. Tramp looks ok(ish), tiller xbar bent, no mast ball, wonder what sails look like.edited by: tami, Sep 20, 2010 - 10:04 AM

No boards on a Supercat 17. It could be a Supercat 19 but the hull profile appears too narrow.
  • The boards were optional on the 17 so there are a few board SC17 out there.
  • ohmsjI am not an expert but it looks like it may be a Super G?

Got any pictures or links for a "Super G"? I don't think I've heard of that one.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Not a Nacra or Supercat, probably a Freestyle Catamaran
  • Definitely NOT a Nacra, definitely NOT a SuperCat, definitely NOT a G-Cat.

My vote would be a Freestyle 474.

Freestyle had daggers and had those square tipped funky rudders.

A fixer upper for $500 isn't all bad. A good cat trailer is worth $200. It is rare - and that's kind of cool and you'll never have to worry about getting passed up by a better sailor on the same type of boat!
  • yes it's a freestyle 474

check this thread

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=184433&page=1
  • learn something new. never heard of freestyle. it and sc are carbon copy if you ask me. wonder about that
  • Biggie & someguyinohio got it,Freestlye Cat, thanks.
    After some more research I found the HIN code. The vendor misread GSN as G-five-N, easy to do.
    The directory of takeovers & defunct companies shows them as oob, out of business, in 1982.
    "Gsn Was Freestyle Catamaran 1942 E Pomona Santa Anna Ca 92705. Oob 12/08/1982."
    It was produced in limited numbers by Boston Whaler multihulls, but they would have stamped it FMS.
    Another bit of trivia, when pinning down the year, things were slightly different before Aug '84. Before this date the month was designated as
    AUG A FEB G
    SEP B MAR H
    OCT C APRIL I
    NOV D MAY J
    DEC E JUNE K
    JAN F JULY L
    AFTER Aug '84 it went chronological,
    Jan A, Feb B, Mar C, etc.
    I may still swing by for a look, it actually might be in pretty good shape. I found photos that show the tiller tie as a V shape, & blowing up his photos show the tramp as it should be. If you blow up picture #4, it shows the slugs in the track on the port rail. The tramp is laced to these, much as the Nacras do on the rear beam, this boat is just missing the lacing, or it was undone for storage. If a guy could pick it up really cheap...

edited by: Edchris177, Sep 21, 2010 - 07:17 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.