Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another Safety Topic - Crew Instr, and Bailing  Bottom

• The pfd string has been very helpful for me. We bought new pfds - neoprenes - but the kayak ones look nice and comfy. We always wear them, no excuses. Gonna save up for the shorter kayak style.

The thread about the man who drowned contained information that someone posted about info he gives new crew before setting out. What do you think are important things to cover?

What is the safest procedure for capt and crew in the event of a capsize? From the initial "going in" thru getting back on.

Thanks....

edited by: sailinagin, Sep 16, 2010 - 09:39 PM

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • QuoteWhat is the safest procedure for capt and crew in the event of a capsize? From the initial "going in" thru getting back on.

ALWAYS!!!!!ALWAYSSS!!!!ALWAYS!!!!
    Stay with the boat!
    When you pull the boat back over, Hang on to the dolphin striker, then climb back on somehow...like trying to hook into the trapeze if you can get enough leverage.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • My basic instructions
    1. Make sure you don't hit the boom, mast or shrouds as you go over.
    2. Try not to land to hard on the sail, bend your knees, etc.
    3. Always stay with the boat.
    4. Don't panic since you are wearing a PFD you will be ok.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i give my crew info on what to do if I fall overboard..
  • True, I do as well, I through we were just talking about flipping over. For flipping my basic instructions are push the tiller away from you until you point into the wind and let the sheets loose. Then try to stay pointed into the wind. Use the whistle in your PFD to try to get attention.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I always tell my crew what to do if I fall off. 'Put you head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye'. icon_lol

Seriously I tell them to uncleat the sails and steer the boat into the wind. Hopefully I will be able to swim back to the boat or get a lift.

I sail with only 2 types of people, guys who are able to do a man overboard (rarely) or people who haven't a clue about anything on the boat. With the first I'm worried they will just sail off and sell my boat. The latter I'm worried about them even noticing I'm gone until they hit something (a lot of people face forward with the skipper to thier back for some reason).

The most important things I cover in order:
    1. What to do when we are going over
    2. What to do if you fall off
    3. What to do if I fall off.
    4. Go where I tell you
    5. Duck your head when anywhere near the boom
    6. Don't sit on the sheets
    7. If you ride my boat down during a capsize and push the mast into the mud snapping it, you had better be a fast swimmer because I can make it look like an accidental drowning! :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Another very important thing I tell every one that I sail with is about being under the sail. If by some strange chance some one gets under the sail when the boat flips I tell them not to come up in a panic but use their hand to find the sail above them and swim in one direction until they are out from under it before trying to come up.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.