Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

how much wind is to much?  Bottom

• Hi, we just bought a Prindle p16 and are new to cat sailing (although we've been windsurfers for 10 years now). My wife is 6 months pregnant so for this summer we're just going to putt around on it and not take any chances of tipping, ec. I was wondering how much wind is enough to tip us over? I realize of course there are other factors involved such as sailing close reach/ beam reach, hiking out etc. I just want to keep it safe and troublefree for now. thanks.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • congrats on the p-16! they are great first cats, sturdy, stable and easy. flipping time can show up at around 15kts wind but you don't have to flip if you don't want to. if things are getting much then you can always de-power sails by easing the travelor and or the main sheet. if things get even more hairy then point the boat into the wind to a close haul almost pinching and sail with the jib mainly. always keep your main sheet in your hand with no slack to the block in case you have to dump it...always...don't let it trail off of the stern, keep all lines clear at all times and be ever mindful of wind direction(shifty winds can put you in a pinch). you can always ease you way to the edge of no control without jumping off! good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • If you try real hard... you can flip in 2knots of wind.

How much is to much is really depending on your skills, and need to not capsize. As mentioned above, if you know how to depower your cat.. and you don't push it.. you should be able to stay upright in any wind under 20...

PS A new catsailor is expected to flip.
  • kasper,

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com and congrats on your new boat and the other new addition to the family!

Tell us about your sailing area, are the winds steady or variable? Makes a big difference. Please fill in your profile, you might get offers of local help from members in your area.

If you have been windsurfing for 10 years then you have a much better "feel" for wind range than most beginners, that also makes me think you live in a "high wind" area.

Remember that your Prindle 16 is very overpowered (compared to sailboards and dinghies) and is designed to sail on one hull with trapeze. That means that if you want to keep both hulls in the water without using trapeze you'll need to keep your wind range pretty low, depending somewhat on your total weight.

Only you can tell what is safe for you and your wife, but it doesn't sound to me that over 10 mph wind would be a good idea for two beginners who don't want any drama. Keep in mind that even that speed can flip the boat if mistakes are made, which they probably will be.

Keep us updated on your progress and don't forget to post an announcement when the new crew arrives.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I flipped my P16 in 5-10 knots of wind. solo doing the wild thing. So always watch the gusts.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • I think sailing conditions would play just as big a part in this discussion. If it is a fairly small lake without waves or chop. I would think 10-15 would be ok. If there is chop or waves it will likely not be comfortable for her period.

I am impressed your 6 month plus pregnant wife will get on a boat in a bathing suit. We just recently had our first child and I don't think my wife would have gotten on our boat after about 6 or 7 months. The discomfort of having to move from one side to the other on the boat, and using your stomach muscles to keep you stable in any kind of waves would not have gone over well with my wife. It wasn't sailig season when she was that pregnant, but I know how her movements started to get more limited.

My wife had a great pregnancy but the sitting position on a cat does not seem like one for a pregnant person.

edited by: smfinley, Aug 25, 2010 - 03:12 PM

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Deliver that baby on the tramp!! That chop may help induce labor!

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Tell her the TB (tiny bladder) issue is resolved. Just let er go, then hit a few waves & wash everything away! icon_biggrin

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks for the advice everyone! For those who asked, we live and sail on Lake St Francis which is a wide section of the St Lawrence River in Lancaster, Ontario Canada. The lake is about 15-20km wide and long enough that you can't see the ends. We live on the north shore and the wind typically blows side-on from the southwest. Winds are often variable and/or gusty, waves can be up to 5-6' in real strong winds (when i'm windsurfing anyways). I don't see us heading out on the cat in any more than 10 knots for now.

Jason

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • You could sail all the way to Hamilton, or Charlottetown, though the rapids below you could make for exciting times!
    You don't want to take a chance dumping with your wife on board. She won't be as nimble as she was 6 months ago, & falling 6-7' onto a boom or mast or rigging won't do junior any good.
    If you are solo though, give 'er, there are not too many days left til the water starts to cool down. Tip your cat in a controlled environment & make sure you can right it solo, if not look into a pole or righting bag.
    I know what you mean about waves. I'm on L Simcoe, & a south or S east wind means nearly a 40 mile fetch. The lake shallows out where I am, so the waves get very steep & closely packed. We do get quite a bit of north or NW winds, that is offshore, but makes for smooth water, albeit the winds are somewhat gusty close to shore.
    I tipped my cat in 10 kts once, that was before I was using a harness & wire.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Good advice has been rendered.

Learn how to flatten your sail using down haul and out haul to dump power.
    Learn how to use your traveler to dump power.
    Practice pinching up into the wind to dump power.
    Never cleat your mainsheet in gusty conditions.
    I reccomend a furling jib as well.
    Make sure you cat has a good righting system and get a righting bag. You are going to go over so make sure you know what to do. If you go to Murrays or Amazon there are some great books to peruse.

• Quotef you try real hard... you can flip in 2knots of wind.

last night we were out in 5-7 knots of wind. in both of the wrong traps. its hard to balance two men on the jib sheet. but anyway the mast is sealed!! icon_biggrin

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219
    Quotef you try real hard... you can flip in 2knots of wind.

last night we were out in 5-7 knots of wind. in both of the wrong traps. its hard to balance two men on the jib sheet. but anyway the mast is sealed!! icon_biggrin

haha!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.