Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 boom rigging  Bottom

• Aloha everyone! I have questions about rigging my Prindle 16 boom and don't see this topic addressed yet, so...

I have a 1982 P-16, which has the oval boom. I understand later years had a square boom, and rigging for those is different. My boat is a restoration project, and I am not (yet) a wind-powered sailor, so my knowledge of sailboat rigging is limited to what I've learned so far during the project. (A lot more than I knew to start with, but I'm still learning...)

I have a good outhaul car (actually two, one's a spare), and the way the line runs from it through a cheek block at least seems obvious--matches a photo in the manual, too.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=76027

But also inside the boom's outhaul track, there's a small cylinder with line through it, apparently some kind of slider, but because the attached line is cut & frayed & attached to nothing else, the purpose of the cylinder and it's attached line escapes me.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=76030

There are two line cleats on the boom, one on top alongside the boom's track. The manual shows this cleat as the anchor point and also cleating point for a line running to the mast rotator, but because the manual is for Prindle 15, 16, and 18, the photo's misleading. There is no mast rotator on the Prindle 16, but still there's this cleat.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=76033

The other cleat is on the bottom of the boom, and it appears to be to cleat the outhaul line. But if this is true, then the outhaul line would first be routed through the block hanger at the end of the boom. Can this be right?
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=76036

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What's the purpose of that internal cylindrical slider? What are the two cleats for, and does the outhaul line run through the block hanger? Is it possible there's supposed to be some kind of internal spring cord associated with the slider? Anything else internal? Does anyone have any detailed photos of a properly rigged Prindle 16 boom they can share?

Thanks!
  • Oops... Guess I need to study up on how to insert photos. Meanwhile, if you're interested in this topic, please see the photo links that appear in place of the images. Thanks!
  • You can right click on your links, then click View image. If you click the IMAGE box,(3rd choice just below & to the right,
    you will get this in your post. (img)(img)
    Now go to your album, click the picture you want. When it loads, right click on it & select COPY IMAGE LOCATION. Now paste that link in between the img-img brackets above. Presto, your picture will be in the post.
    There are lots of Prindle guys here, somebody will help you. Meantime, check the Technical stuff, there are a few assembly manuals stored online. Here is the P 16 link:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=75669

Damon also has a tutorial under getting stared that will give you all the info you need.
    Welcome aboard

edited by: Edchris177, Aug 22, 2010 - 09:32 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Sorry for reopening an old thread... but:

how does one rig the outhaul line as shown in the first image above?
    ( http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=76027 )

I have a 1982 P16 with the same boom, and it looks as if the knot on the outhaul is inside the track... now, I have considerable manual dexterity, but this seems somewhat out of my reach. Or should I thread that hole backwards and place the knot on the outside of the boom? Or does the knot gradually work its way inside the track?

I tried to find the answer in the Getting Started section but there seems to be no search by author...

Thanks!

--
    P16 (1982)
    14' Kaboat + Sail kit + outboard in lieu of close hauling (2012)
    --
  • I had the same problem and ended up tying the figure 8 on the outside and running the line through the channel and around the pulley. Might not be right but it works OK. I have to adjust the length this weekend so I can post a pic then.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Thanks - it seemed to me that doing it this way would cause the line to enter the pulley at an angle when it gets close to the end.

I might try the original routing but with the knot where I can reach it - maybe it will work its way in some day - the outhaul doesn't need to go all the way to the end, right? (The last 1/2 inch will be blocked by the line). And I guess I'll need to cut the old knot into pieces to get it out of there.

--
    P16 (1982)
    --
  • It has been a decade or two since I did this, but I recall pushing the end of the line through the hole in the casting into the kerf of the boom, then fishing the end up out of the kerf with an awl (or small corkscrew?). Once I had the end out, I folded about a half inch (15mm) and whipped the fold together tightly with thin whipping. When complete, I pushed the end back into the kerf and pulled it tight against the inside of the casting.
    Does the casting at the mast end of the boom have a notch in it that matches the kerf? One that might allow the outhaul car to be removed? If so, you could pull the car out, tie a knot in one end of the line and feed the other end through the length of the kerf and right out of the hole at the aft end.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Whipping sounds like a good plan, I didn't think of it. I'll give that a shot.

My boom does not appear to have any provisions for removing the outhaul car, and the castings are riveted in place. They have no notches, just like the photo. I have a riveter but I'd rather not disturb the fasteners unnecessarily.

--
    P16 (1982)
    --
  • Bob, you gave an idea! I used cinch rings to attach the round pulls on my rudder downhauls. They are for shock cord but they worked fine for regular line also. It would be pretty easy to get one around a short piece of the 3/16 line and you can take lineman's pliers and flatten out the ring so it should go back into the track.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • I have done this with some large degree of manipulation. The easy answer however is drill out the rivets of the end casting pult your line in and tie off then re-rivet the end back on. When I did it I tied a very loose figure eight so it could flatten out some with a longish tail and pushed it through the groove slowly with a screw driver. Once inside I pulled on the line until it pulled the knot tight. I might have held on to the tail with some needle nose pliers but can't remember.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • My 16 is rigged the same. When I change lines, I melted the end to feed in the hole, then used a screw driver to pull up the end. I tied a loose knot and fed it back in the track, then pulled the knot tight. The bungie in the track that attaches to the outhaul car was a pain to attach...

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.