Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18-2 Main Halyard Sheaves Replacement  Bottom

• Hello. I recently purchased a Prindle 18-2. I noticed right away that the main halyard was extremely difficult to use once the main had been raised about halfway. The lower sheave had some chips out of the outer edges but still spun freely, however the upper sheave was seized, in fact the halyard has actually begun to saw its way through the sheave, making it oval shaped.

I plan to replace both sheaves with parts from Murrays but have a couple of questions:

1) I can't seem to get either sheave out of the mast. The base sheave is just stuck because the clevis pin is too big and has been jammed/press-fit into the hole. The upper sheave is a bit more problematic. The clevis pin comes out easily, but the sheave is captive between the upper casting and mast. Do I really have to remove the casting to get the sheave out? Seems it should just slip out once the clevis pin is removed. I thought about cutting away some of the mast curf in a V-shape -- just enough to allow the sheave to come out. The manual mentions having to file away some of the curf if the sheave does not spin freely (I suspect this may be why it seized in the first place).

2) Are these sheaves standard size parts I can get anywhere? I'd rather not pay $8.20 apiece for them and wait for shipping if I can just pick them up at any hardware store.
  • i would not use non marine gear from ace/hd
    spend the big bucks ($8) and get marine grade
  • I realize now that sounded really cheap -- I can afford the parts, I just don't like to wait for them. Plus there might have been an opportunity to find something stronger / longer lasting. Hardly ever the case though when replacing marine parts with "something else".

My real concern is how to get the sheave out and the new ones in. I can hammer out the oversized pin, but don't want to drill out rivets and remove the casting unless that's just the way it's supposed to be done.
  • haha, i wasn't calling you cheap, and i understand not wanting to wait... any sailing shops in your area? West Marine?

i can't advise you on the 18-2. i have never owned/replaced that part.
  • On my p18 I moved the bottom sheeve to the top and bought a sheeve at west marine for the bottom.

I wouldn't be scared to remove the casting though. It just takes a few minutes.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Takes about one minute to cut away the mast curf to get the sheave out. Did it on P-19 mast. Pete
  • If the sheave is totalled already, cut the sheave to remove it, then you can file/cut the curf to fit the new sheave.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.