Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.5 Trouble with releasing mainsail!!  Bottom

• I have just aquired a Nacra 5.5 '94.
    It works great and I love it but I still have alot of doubt concerning some lines, cleats and how to correctly use the spinnaker, but that's for another time.

The only real problem I have had with it is that I can't get the "O" ring in the top of the mainsail to release from the hook in the masttop. Raising it, and getting it to hook on is also pretty hard but releasing it is more important due to safety issues etc. Had to lay the cat on its side the other day, it was blowing hard and I almost smashed into the hull of a 6.0 in the process. Really stressful situation

I have noticed that the aluminum reinforcement on the sail has gotten pretty scuffed and a few bolts have broken, can't see how that would affect anything but right now it stands between repearing that and changing the system.
    Has anyone had similar problems and have a solution?
  • Are you using something like this.
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/01-4216.jpg
  • I have the older system, with the slug on the wire. I think yours is the newer one, & you have to pull down on the halyard, then rotate the mast,(to get the hook out of the way) then release halyard. Do you have the manual online? You may already know the procedure, but I've seen posts from new owners who were not aware of the correct procedure.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • My 5.5 is a 1990 and it has the ring and hook looks like the one in the picture above but there is a twist in the top part of that shackle. I pull the halyard and rotate the mast then pull down on the sail make sure your down haul is loose before hand.
  • skarr1Are you using something like this.
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/01-4216.jpg

No, my "O" ring is seperate to the shackle and the small bend is "poiting upwards", I attatch the halyard.
  • The guy I bought it from didn't have a manual, said he had lost it, however you do that.
    So, needless to say I don't know the procedure.
    I have only found a manual which supposedly covers alot of nacra "5" models including mine. The Images etc are however from a 5.2 and very low resolution.

Should I keep the main sheet connected to the sail, keeping it in place while rotating the mast?, I am also wondering,
    Could the last owner lost the appropriate shackle and replaced it with a shorter one? It is twisted, but as I see it, it has to be the correct length and maybee this one is wrong.

Thank you for replying , I'm going to try again tomorrow.
  • HA! I've been sailing my 5.8NA for almost 6 years and this has never dawned on me! Guess I'd better read the owners manual. I usually have someone jiggle the mast rotator boom. DUH! (Learn something new every visit!)

Other points:

Clean your track.
    Use as soft candle wax on the sail luff to lubricate.
    Replace the halyard with a non stretchy rope. (This is key)

QuoteI think yours is the newer one, & you have to pull down on the halyard, then rotate the mast,(to get the hook out of the way) then release halyard. Do you have the manual online? You may already know the procedure, but I've seen posts from new owners who were not aware of the correct procedure.

• Are you using a twisted shackle like this

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/21-0629.jpg

it made a world of difference for me mine actually looks like this but they are separate parts

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/07-3064.jpg

It also help how you have the knot tied or the knot will push the ring out of the way of the hook and it cant set or release correctly. When lowering you may have to pull the sail to one side or the other to get it to lower. it may also help to make sure you have the out haul release or if loose footed just unhook from the boom all together

edited by: Quarath, Jul 12, 2010 - 05:40 PM

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I have had boats with the shackle separate from the ring, no big deal it still works.

Don't use wax on the luff. Pieces of wax can end up ground into the tramp, you will slip, resulting in death. ;)

--
    Philip
    --
  • on our 5.5 we have to point the boat into the wind - pull hard on the halyard to get the ring on the mast hook - keep tension on the halyard - have someone rotate the mast so it is pointing to the starboard hull - pull down on the sail and slowly release tension on the halyard and at the same time let the mast rotate back to straight and your sail sould come down. It's a timing thing!!!!

Best of luck

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • Another thing to note. Make sure that your knot (main halyard) that ties into the ring is facing the back of the boat and not facing the front of the boat. Some boats it doesnt matter that much but on my 5.2 if the knot wasnt facing the right way it wasnt going to hook.

edited by: TurboCat, Jul 14, 2010 - 08:37 PM
  • It worked!
    Had a great sailing session yesterday, winds 18-20 knots.
    At the end of the day when getting up, (luckily the winds had gone down a bit), a bit nervous if I would get the main down or not, I applied tension to the halyard, turned the mast and released tension and it worked perfectly!

Thanks to all that took time to help me,
    great forum!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.