Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

2-Part Urethane Foam to repair soft spots?  Bottom

• I have an '83 Prindle 16 and the inner side of the port hull from the center of the tramp forward is pretty much a giant soft spot. I was going to use thickened west systems until I discovered the full extent of the soft spot. I have done a good bit of work with composited before and I was thinking of just using a 3 or 4-lb density A B Urethane foam and just inject it similar to how its done with west systems, the only reason I don't want to use west is because of the cost associated with that product icon_eek . What do you guys and gals think?

--
    P16
    Lake Wylie, SC
    --
  • guess it might work for a bit....do and get back to us with the results icon_smile
  • I would try the traditional penetrating epoxy fix before i used A/B foam. You can get Get-Rot epoxy or a similar penetrating epoxy pretty cheaply.
  • Briang, did you do the repair? And if so, what did you use and how?

--
    Jeremy Soder
    Nacra 5.8
    Allen, TX
    --
  • standard polyester resin(bondo/3m brand 30$ gallon) works fine for injection. 2 part foam can expand way too much and do more damage than good, it also absorbs water and gets heavier as time passes. injection repairs can be rock solid and last a long time so don't be afraid!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • 2 ways to do this, you can either take tramp off, separate hulls by removing beams so that you can place hull soft side up and level, which takes a lot more time, or flip entire P16 on its side soft side up and level, leaning it against some sort of support, (tree, side of house), tape delaminated area off with masking tape, and use product as suggested by coastrat. One word of caution, do whatever it takes to make sure you break through outer skin only when drilling holes, penetrating through inner layer just causes all sorts of problems and delays and wastes much resin. 2nd method much quicker and you can be up and sailing again in a couple of days.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.