Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie with old problem  Bottom

• Greetings out here... my name is David and I've recently acquired a used Nacra 5.8 after a 30 year hiatus due to child rearing (the first 40 years of parenting are always the hardest.) I raced a Sol Cat 18 and a Hobie 18 back in the 70's and I'm really glad to be back. The Nacra has a crease due to an impact that includes a small puncture at one end. I have very limited fiberglass repair experience and I'm hoping someone can point me to a very basic tutorial in an existing thread that will help me make this baby sea (lake, for now) worthy. I've tried the search mode but the hits I've found assume basic knowledge, which I lack. Thanks ahead of time for your interest and happy sailing this weekend.

• David

Lots of tricks out there. I've fixed a lot of composites - easier than you think. Depending on where the damage is will greatly affect how to proceed. You're going to need to post much more specifics on what your damage is, access, Etc. Pictures are always best.

Chris
  • Congrats from a fellow 5.8 owner.

There are a lot of folks who have done fiberglass repair here, some pictures of the damage to your boat would likely get you some very specific advice on how to fix your issue.

I forget if it was 84 or 85, but one of those years Nacra went from a single-skin construction technique to a cored hull. You can determine which year your boat is by looking at the VIN on the right rear hull, it's the last two numbers.
  • Damage is in wetted surface, just fore of dagger board trunk on port hull. Not deep, perhaps 1/4", 3 feet long. I will attempt to post photo.
  • Thanks for the interest. It's a '96 - foam core, I believe. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on posting a photo?
  • Get quart WEST epoxy with hardner (205 & 105) along with pumps from Murrays.com, paper cups, pencil to stir, 2" fiberglas cloth, throw away 2" paint brushes from Home Depot, and a $30 rotary sander from Walmart using 8 hole, 5" paper (Lowes or Home Depot). Rough sand repair area, put on glas cloth & saturate with paint brush filled with epoxy. Put 2-3 more strips atop first. This takes 10 minutes (I just did a P-19). Next day fair in cloth edges with your sander (5 min) and paint on light coat of resin mix. Pete
  • David, first make an album, up load your pictures there. (see site FAQ on menu bar at top of page)
    Then click on the picture in the album to expand it, right click & select "COPY IMAGE LOCATION". To insert pic in your post,click IMAGE (the 3rd choice in those little boxes just below the lower right corner of the box you are typing in, see where it says URL EMAIL IMAGE QUOTE? When you click image, it will insert this into your message: (img) (img), and the cursor will be blinking between the brackets. Right click & paste the image location that you copied from your album. I think Damon has posted a good demo on this, try using search feature.

edited by: Edchris177, Jul 02, 2010 - 02:00 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hopefully, a picture will appear here:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1278089306_25794.jpg
    This bad contrast photo shows my minor crease in the hull. Thanks to everyone so far who have been helpful.

edited by: dastjohn, Jul 02, 2010 - 03:21 PM
  • If you're up for a road trip the factory in Santa Ana could fix that and make it look new. I tore out the daggerbard trunk, trashed the dagger board, and put about a 4 foot split in the seam of my 5.8 and they made it all nice again.

Oterhwise, what Pete sugested, but you can get the West Systems stuff from Svendsen's too. I seem to remeber there is a guy in Alameda that is pretty good with fiberglass/gelcoat reapairs if you want to go that route and I'm certian Svendsen's Marine Store could hook you up, or check out Jerrmy at Surf City Catamarans, he is pretty good with fixing this stuff.

Good luck

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Factory in Santa Ana is no more. They've moved to a sales office only in Santa Ana & do no more glass work. Pete
  • pbegleFactory in Santa Ana is no more. They've moved to a sales office only in Santa Ana & do no more glass work. Pete

Wow! When did this happen? There not making boats there anymore?

edited by: JohnES, Jul 03, 2010 - 07:07 PM

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.