Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

more Nacra 5.7 questions  Bottom

• Hi - I need to repair my main halyard tonight. Does anyone know the approximate length and diameter of nylon line on the main (wire to rope halyard). I assume if I get equal to the height of the mast I should be good (don't know how high the mast is...).

Also - Anyone know what size line is used in the trapeze between the bungee and the dogbone/handle?

Thanks

Chris
  • QuoteAlso - Anyone know what size line is used in the trapeze between the bungee and the dogbone/handle?

just about any size line will work here... i personally use 4mm
  • Andew's right, but for your info:

On a 5.7 the stock halyard line is 3/16" diameter, stock length is 26 feet (line only not the wire) but I would go with 30 just to be safe.

Stock trapeze line is 1/4" dia, but 3/16" will also work so you just have to buy one size. I would recommend using a good prestretched or low stretch line for the halyard (sta-set or better). I've had cheaper line on my halyard and it makes getting the main up a real pain.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • The mast is almost 30'. My 5.7 halyard looks like 1/4". It is not a high tech line. The 5.7 I find very easy to raise the main, I cleaned the track & lubed it, the sail will fall like a rock if you let go of the halyard.
    If you have the small fork on the mast & small ball swaged to the wire, you have to line up the halyard with the fork on mast. I use the mast rotator & turn the mast fully towards the side of the tramp I'm standing on. Just before you pull the halyard fully up, reach out, away from the mast, then pull the line the last foot. Then bring the halyard into the mast, keeping it in line with the small fork on the upper mast. This will allow the ball to catch the fork every time. I keep my boat on a modified seadoo lift, so I can't just step out in front of the mast. If you're raising it on land, no need to rotate, just face square tot he mast.
    I wouldn't worry about low stretch, because the halyard does not actually hold the sail up, it is held by the fork/ball, then you tension it with the downhaul.
    The line only has to be 26 feet, as you don't want to pull the end of the wire right down to the tramp. There should be a strap eye on the front of the mast, about 4' up, you clip the end of the wire to that eye to keep it from flopping around, then untie the rope portion & stow it, or just stow it in the tramp pocket.
    When leaving the boat rigged you can either hook a bungee between the halyard & the forestay, or lead the rope & wire around the trap/shrouds & tie them off to the rear beam. This prevents the annoying ping/ping/ping of the wire banging the mast in a breeze.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.