Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 19 board removal  Bottom

• Just purchased a prindle 19 and i'd like to do some repairs to the boards before they're used. However, in looking at them i can't figure out how to take them off short of giving them a good tug -regardless if they're in the up or down position. any insights would be much appreciated.
    thanks much in advance
  • Centerboards? They slide strait up. There is a hollow dowel thru the center that just slides simply straight up the track in the wells. May be stuck then.

--
    H18, H17, P19, Glastron GT-150 (Bond jump boat)
    --
  • divimon2000Centerboards? They slide strait up. There is a hollow dowel thru the center that just slides simply straight up the track in the wells. May be stuck then.

right above where the dowel sits there is a small lip that looks to prevent the boards from moving up the track. i applied a little pressure from below to see if i could easily move the dowel past this (20% effort) and it didn't move. there are no other visible obstructions (leaves, sand,et.c). wondering if i should simply push harder?

thanks again.

-j
  • You pull them half way back in the slot then yank straight up.they should pop out.
  • prestonracingYou pull them half way back in the slot then yank straight up.they should pop out.

i put them at half way position and attempted to pull up as well as push from below. again, not trying to force them overly much. am i wrong to think finessing them out isn't going to get me anywhere?
  • Yeah it takes a good yank sometimes to get those boards out.
  • wd 40 and a rubber mallette...nice and gentle...tap, tap tap, squirt, squirt, tap, tap tap...or the sledge and a blow torch!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Do not put wd40 on it.there's no metal in that area. Try putting the boat on the ground and pull the boards back and up at the same time. They should pop out. That lip you see well flex some so that the board can come up the slot and out.
  • prestonracingDo not put wd40 on it.there's no metal in that area. Try putting the boat on the ground and pull the boards back and up at the same time. They should pop out. That lip you see well flex some so that the board can come up the slot and out.

thanks much. lowered the cat and then applied more force than before. they're out now and getting some tender lov'n repair work.

thanks again,
    john
  • Does that pipe on the P19 center boards drop below that little lip at the bottom of track? Mine is stuck and Im trying to take off the board. help??
  • ashubenDoes that pipe on the P19 center boards drop below that little lip at the bottom of track? Mine is stuck and Im trying to take off the board. help??

The pivot is sched 40 PVC
    Wash the area down with the hose to get any grit or obstructions out and then pull hard straight up. The centerboard will pop out, and the water will help a little.
    You have to pull hard. The pivot is designed NOT to pop out when you run your beach cat up onto the beach so the centerboard pivots to the up position.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 06, 2014 - 11:26 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thx. Do i pull on the rope at the top or just grab the board and yank? Im strong and i still cant get it to budge.
  • ashubenThx. Do i pull on the rope at the top or just grab the board and yank? Im strong and i still cant get it to budge.

Pull on the rope. I have 18" of 3/8" Dacron tied in a water knot in mine- it's the thickest I could get in there. Pull straight up. The board will sorta be in the middle of the slot.

Blast the pivot area with the hose to be sure you get the grit out from around the pivot. If the previous owner beached it a lot, there will be sand underneath too.

You may need to stand on the hull so you can use your legs to pull.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 06, 2014 - 11:27 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thank you my fellow sailor :)
  • KlozhaldYou may need to stand on the hull so you can use your legs to pull.

Did I mention that wearing a cup in this situation might be good?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.