Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First sail for my rebuilt 5.7  Bottom

• Finally got my Nacra 5.7 reassembled. Left it on the back lawn for a few days because the wind was at just over 30 clicks (19 mph)& I've no experience with these larger cats. Finally it calmed down, & I decided to test rig it on the lawn, so as to make sure I knew how everything went together & worked, sort of like the old days testing production jets, do everything you can in a situation you can run away from!
    My first reaction was damn, that's a tall mast. Stepping the stick & getting all the standing rigging went fine, I set the spreader rake at 1 1/5", the shrouds just so the mast didn't wobble laterally, & the diamonds so a hard push made them touch at 12". When test hoisting the rags I ran into a few glitches. One manual shows two different systems for the jib, (step 60)mine has the bullet block with becket attached to jib halyard, but doesn't have a have a cheek block near the jam cleat,(that would give a 3:1 purchase). It only has the strap eye & jam cleat, so I am assuming that it was originally set up with just a bullet block on the end of the halyard, & set up is to tie line from strap eye, up through bullet block & down through jam cleat,(2:1).
    When hoisting the main,(step 59, also seems to show 2 different systems). I seem to have the second system, as there is a cheek block & strap eye near the bottom of the mast, but I am missing the "S" hook with attached V jam block.
    I ghetto rigged it by using a long bowline tied through the sail grommet, then down around cheek block, back up through sail grommet, down & tied off to strap eye.
    I didn't seem to be able to pull all the wrinkles out of the bolt rope area, but it worked & we sailed for a couple of hours in very light winds,appx 5 mph. This was great to test the rudders, try tacking & gybing & generally feel the boat out. In these light winds tacking was pretty easy, I just had to be gentle on the stick, & give it time to come about. It certainly doesn't pivot like the Invitation, but at one point the wind picked up to around 10 mph, & the speed was impressive. I want to tip it over & get some working knowledge of my righting system before I go out in any wind over 10 mph.
    Can those with knowledge of boomless rigs give me any pointers on how I should rig, with what I have? Should I buy an "S" hook & block with V jam, or should I attach the block with becket(currently on the jib)to the tack eye on main, & rig the line from becket, down around cheek block, back up & around block with S hook, then down & tie off,(or rivet another jam cleat on to mast) (Directions in the manual with the Japanese annotations seem different), though they do specifically mention the 5.7 at step 32.19 I believe the picture they refer to is a typo, & should be picture 34a, not 43a as the manual states.
    Attached is a picture of my mast fittings, there are no fittings on the right hand side. Also I originally thought the line with hook & shackle was for a righting bag. Could the previous owner have shackled the block with cam cleat tot he sail, & placed the hook through the strap eye? It doesn't look like a strong enough hook for the job.
    PS I only have one jam cleat on the mast, I would have to tie off the main sail tension line, or get a block with built in V jam, like I have on the vang of my Invitation. I think one would want the main tension to be easily adjustable, no? I have the old original sails, so I don't think they can handle more than a 4:1 downhaul.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74266&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=3b78ba2ed7503cc5e9f6cfeace872fb9
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74269&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=3b78ba2ed7503cc5e9f6cfeace872fb9

edited by: Edchris177, Jun 15, 2010 - 01:13 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • EC, you are missing a fiddle block for the main downhaul like this one: https://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10599

You hook or tie the becket of the fiddle blcokto the sail grommet and then put about 3 ft of 1/4" line on the strap eye on the mast. That line then goes up through the bottom sheave down through the cheek block and then back up through the top sheave and cleats in the v-cleat on the fiddle block.

I actually have a spare one if you want it (it actually came with the used spare rigging set I sent you). If you need it let me know and we can work something out, but I won't have access to it until Monday. Otherwise west marine is probably the quickest source locally (I think there is one near you).

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Ed,
    There are several ways to do this. Since you only have one jam cleat on the mast, it is likely the previous owner used the common jib halyard through the zippered luff, and tied it off at the bridal. This will free up and allow you to use the jam cleat for the downhaul. As Dave said the fiddle block will make it all come together nicely. I have a picture of this type setup and will dig it up. BTW, the grommot that we keep referring to at the foot of the main is called a cringle.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thanks Philip, I hadn't thought of returning the line through the zipper & tying off at the bridal. I've got all the parts for roller furling, after I get the feel of the boat, I'll make up a shorter stay and change to roller furling. Once that happens I'm thinking that it will furl better with the tension tie off back down at the bridal. Am I correct in thinking that if you terminate the jib halyard on the mast it will twist everything when you go to furl?

I may take you up on that offer Dave. Right now I'm sitting in Hongkong, it's hot,sticky,windy & wet! You'd think the bloody monsoons came early. I'll be home Wed evening, hopefully those shrouds & stuff will be waiting. The item you mentioned looks like what the Nacra manual shows,with a cleat on the block, kind of hard to tell, their photos didn't reproduce very well. I'm going to delay installing the roller furling til I get some time on the boat, & experiment with mast rake so as to know how long to make the new stay.
    The block with becket is swaged onto the current jib halyard,so it might be better to use the jam cleat on the mast for the jib, & your block & cleat for the down-haul. That would save me having to get the halyard redone. I'm off for 5 days when I get back & want to sail at least 3 of them, no time to waste taking it apart & going to a rigging shop. We have lots of nicopress stuff at the maintenance hangar but my AME buddy is away for a bit. He also got the bug, bought some old cat, (has NEVER sailed anything before, but has always wanted a cat) & wants me to teach him...should be an interesting summer, the blind leading the blind!
    I'll wait for Philips picture to maybe get a better idea of which way to go. While you're taking photos Philip, can you also take one of how you rigged your roller furling. It is way easier to look at the pic than to read 10 descriptions.
    Thanks, I'm going to bed now, it's almost 0500hr here on the other side of the world.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74274&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=3b78ba2ed7503cc5e9f6cfeace872fb9

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • EC,
    I will rig my downahul this weekend like in the manual and send you some photos so you can see it.

The box should be waiting for you and there is a brand new forestay with a pigtail for roller furling in there that should work for you.

You can't roller furl with the jib halyard attached to the mast,it has to go down the forestay and tie off at the adjuster. There are a couple of ways of doing it, I will take a pic of mine but the easiest way is to rig a cleat or shackle to tie off to at the adjuster. You don't need to downhaul the jib much just tension it so even a 1:1 (simple cleat or tie off) will work. Also with the roller furler you really don't need a wire for the jib halyard, attach a block to the pigtail and use some good quality 1/4" line. Again I will take pics this weekend.

edited by: Wolfman, Jun 15, 2010 - 04:31 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Thanks, I've only seen photos of the drum unit, nobody has posted the full meal deal. It is just way easier to look at some pictures,than to read descriptions. Most of the writers know exactly what to do, but many times the translations are open to several interpretations, especially if writing is not the authors strength.
    I was looking at my mast & fittings last week, & thinking furling wouldn't work well with a halyard or tension line going to the mast.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Okie Doke, I wouldn't mind seeing Philips setup also. I just got a new camera with an awesome zoom so I will try and cover the whole boat. I have a couple of photos posted already but not of the jib.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • You can change this around several ways. This particular set up uses a fiddle block with a v-jamb for cleating. A standard fiddle would use the jam cleat on the mast. The way I have it rigged in this picture gives you 8:1 downhaul using cascade. The line going through the Aussie ring would be where that line would go through the main sail's cringle, and then it is anchored on the other side of the mast. This is an old set up that I no longer use but is very effective. If you look through my album you will see where I upgraded to an setup that was 16:1 and controlled from either side from the trapese.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74295&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=43ab42c5774078ff1b4c80c552c5b54d

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thanks Philip, I think I'll set up that way. I use that type of block/v jamb with the boom vang on my Invitation. I think I'll just leave it as a 4:1, I'm using the original 1984 sail, it might not be up to cranking an 8:1 or 16:1 purchase.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Hey EC,
    Glad to hear you got out finally! Now you know the power of the dark side! :) Pretty soon you will be getting a new flat top for that beast of yours.

Here is a photo of the fiddle block I have. If you want it send me a PM and we can work something out.

Sorry about the size I think I need to downsample my photo album. You can also see some pics of my roller furling setup on my album.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74395&g2_serialNumber=3

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Your mast fittings look the same as mine. I just got your package tonight, after I got a "final" notice in my mailbox. I know the gal in our little town post office, she asked why I had left it so long. Seems our friends at Canada Post neglected to actually send me the 1st notice! I was expecting it either on my doorstep, or a notice in the box to walk down & pick it up.
    I have to go to Tokyo tomorrow, then will head back up north on Fri, supposed to be hot.
    I'm amortized down to $1000/day on the Nacra now! I took it out 4 days, but chickened out on fathers day, the wind was 30 clicks,(18 mph)& I still haven't tried righting it by myself. I took the little Invitation out & did some downwind surfing. The Cat sure doesn't come about with the same agility, but man it moves on the reaches. The corner of my bay is fairly protected, on 2 of the days I could drive up to the dock, blow the main & traveler, reach up & unhook the sail, then steer right up against the dock fenders & step off.
    I've still got some tuning issues to work out, I have slight lee helm, without the jib. In 5-8 mph breeze I can let go of the tiller & it will keep its course, so I'm pretty bloody careful to stay in the bay & not fall off when I'm solo.
    I had read that the boomless rigs don't like to be sailed without jib, but it seems fine, the tacks are a little slow, but it gybes like Jack the Bear. I can easily fly a hull solo in 10 mph with only the main.
    I've got rigging down to about 5 minutes, as I store it mast up, rudders & tiller on. I got tired of wrestling it up over the breakwall,(about 12")so I spent all day today driving down near the Finger Lakes, NY, to buy a seadoo lift. There are only a couple of models made that have cantilever design & the winch on an angled support, which keeps it out of the way. The Cat can then be slid sideways onto the bunks, which are 8' long. This added $700 to the operating cost, but makes solo launching/recovery a breeze no matter the wind. I have to lift it over the breakwall nose first, & launch tailfirst, but that puts our prevailing winds from the stern. After 3 days of launching, then wading it around my power boats so as to tie up to the dock nose into the wind, then hoisting rags, I said screw it & bought a lift, plus my wife was hacking on me about it being on the lawn & blocking the fire pit.
    That's the exact type of block I use on the boom vang on the Invitation, except the becket hooks onto a "J" hook on the bottom of the boom. The Nacra manual shows an "S" hook in the "CRINGLE"(there Philip! icon_biggrin , I called it a grommet cause that's what Nacra called it, & I'd forgotten that cringle word)attached to the block. Using the ghetto 2:1 I rigged up, I can't get the wrinkles out of the bottom of the sail, though some of that might be just the way the original sail sets. If I got a longer line I could also run it through the cringle twice, but the jamb cleat makes for easier adjustment.

edited by: Edchris177, Jun 22, 2010 - 08:11 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.