Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Oil on the beach  Bottom

• Local news this evening reported tar balls and oil sheen at Quietwater Beach in Pensacola. Total bummer. icon_frown
  • more than a bummer...
  • never fear, they should have that relief well finished by september or so...all the kings horses...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • This has happened before. I don't remember back in 1979 when it happened off the coast of Mexico but it did. Almost by the letter the same accident along with same botched attempts to repair. Why isn't this getting reported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4oooyqe_8
  • that spill is the worlds largest by a mile...but we are on pace to break that record! throw in a hurricane or two and it gets biblical, hollywood stuff... i knew the saints winning the superbowl would have grave consequences.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • lol
  • I grew up on the Gulf (St. Pete) and then lived in the FL panhandle for six years... the despoiling of such beauty is beyond depressing for me. Really, I attempt to forget about it as much as possible. no words...
  • the gulf is sweet!!(not crude). it's worth saving. if just sail power could save the world. been good to me...

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Well, I've been sailing at least 3 days a week since the oil spill started Apr 20th, getting in all I could till I can no more.

When I got to the beach (Grayton) yesterday all the fishing captains were telling me that they finally started seeing tarballs 3 miles off the beach. Southerly winds kept me from going out that far. Todays westerlies allowed me to get out there only I didn't have to go but 1 1/2 - 2 miles out to find them for myself.

The tarballs were really small and sparse and heavily weathered. I had to pick one up to see what it was like. There was NO smell to it nor an odor in the air. It could be held in your hand and not stick to anything as long as it wasn't squeezed and then it took turpentine to get it off.

As they drifted along they left the fainest little sheen behind them.

The surrounding beaches have seen some tarballs wash up but clean up crews are on them like white on rice.

I'll be back out tomorrow as conditions are far from bad enough to keep me away. I hope it stays that way.

• we were out yesterday in biloxi/biloxi bay, saw our first signs of oil. ran into some friends who get paid to "spot" oil-200$ per day crew, 1200$ per day for the boat. i wonder if they will pay us to sail? i can sail for 1400$ a day, no problem, sounds like a good gig.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.