Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P18 Split Jib Halyard Question?  Bottom

• http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74131&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=4d8f9a489c82b769fb356926cb309f2f

What are these little metal clips called and what is the tool called that is used to crimp them on the line. And don't say "pliers". Oh and where do I get them?

Also open to other alternatives.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The 2 clips are called sister clips.
    The things around the line are hog rings and put on with hog ring pliers.

Murry's or West have them.

Alternitive square knot or sheet bend.

edited by: nacra55, Jun 04, 2010 - 03:03 PM

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks the sisters clips I knew is was just the hog clips I was unaware of.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • I'm not sure using hog rings on regular line is a great idea. Usually they are used on shock cord because it doesn't stay tied very well.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • You want to use the hog rings on this and not a knot, b/c the whole mess has to slide inside the luff zipper of the jib, and a knot doesn't go through there very well due to its size. Hog rings and hog ring pliers/crimpers are available lots of places. If you have a local Fastenal they might help.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • It only goes thru jib luff if using a furler, otherwise it goes down the mast. Sister clips can be trouble if using a clam cleat.
    I use 3mm line so going thru the jib fuff is no big deal with a square knot.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Uh, no, it always goes down the jib luff on a P18.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Yep, your right Rob, I was thinking about your 5.2, not a Prindle 18 like Dustin.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Dustin, as you now know, you are looking for hog ring pliers. You buy the actual hog rings in different sizes, 1/4",5/16" etc, depending on the line thickness you are using. The rings are cheap, appx 15 cents each. If you are going to buy pliers ONLY for your jib, I would save the money & use a thin high tech line, & tie a reef knot. If you also need to replace shock cord on rudder up lines, buy a pair of pliers. You can make do with regular pliers, but they don't do as neat a job, & it is a real pain to bend the rings properly. If you are bending more than 2 rings it gets old, fast.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I bought some rings and experimented with regular channel lock type pliers. I bit of a pain but worked all right.

I'm not too worried about using clips for this. The picture was from either the old halyard that came with the boat or from a P16 I scavenged some stuff off of. I had my jib jury rigged a different way before I understood how the halyard was suppose to work so I was trying to remedy that this year. Anyhow very little strain involved for raising the jib and the halyard is not in any way used for keeping the jib up once it's locked in it's ring and the downhaul set, so I think the Rings will work good. If I had any experience with splicing and a kit for 3/16 line I'd just splice in a becket on each side.

They funny thing is. For my trap shock cord I like to be able to remove the cord easily at the end of the year and since on the Prindle the cord goes through some holes in the Tramp I did not want to make them permanent. So I just tie a figure 8 in the end push the knot back in the hole on the clip like it's made to do. No Hog Rings there.

edited by: Quarath, Jun 07, 2010 - 09:58 AM

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • I use these:

http://www.apsltd.com/p-8040-hook-for-516-shock-cord.aspx

with 5/16" shock cord. They're huge hooks but do a great job and you can fairly easily undo them when you need to.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.