Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best line for mainsheet?  Bottom

• I noticed when I took the Prindle out yesterday the mainsheet and blocks kept tangling up. I'm planning on buying some new line for my main sheet. I was thinking of using 7/16" New England Regatta line. When I checked it out at West Marine it seemed really subtle and would be easy to hold on to but when I tried to cleat it on my block it seemed to want to pop out of the cleat a little too easy. Anyone ever used this stuff? Other suggestions?
    Steve
  • I prefer 3/8" for a main sheet, it runs a little better through the blocks and I don't notice a huge difference from the 7/16". It's more a personal preference and how long you sail for at a time. If you are out killing it all day the 7/16" may be better for your hands.

In the straight poly lines New England Sta-Set is the gold standard it seems, but is nearly double the price. Many, many sailors rave about the FSE Robline products!

If you are going to step up a bit to a mid level hi tech blend, New England Salsa line seems to be the current favorite. I use VPC myself but it is quite stiff and requires a bit of a break in time.

Everyone, did I miss anything? Anyone have a real favorite that I didn't mention?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Some lines > 3/8" will have trouble staying in a cleat just due to their size.

You might need to re-reeve the main sheet though. How was it getting tangled?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Most sailors in our club use 5/16, some use 3/8.
    Can't go wrong with Sta-Set, comes in lots of colors and most Wests have it in stock. I use Salsa for my Spin sheet. I don't care for it as a main sheet, I want something a little more stiff, the same with the Robline racing sheet.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I just switched to 8mm Robline racing sheet. Also looked at the NE Salsa line, but decided on the Robline.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i love my robline!
    its soft and doesn't retain water

if you really want it to run fast through the blocks, look at getting a tapered mainsheet from http://www.apsltd.com (call them)
  • Thanks guys. I guess the New Englad Regatta isn't such a good line for the main sheet. I actually just washed the old sheet and stretched it out and after it dried I restrung the blocks. Seems to be much better now. I believe the sheet is New England Sta-set from what I can tell but since it was on the boat when I got her who knows? I'll still be looking on replacing the sheet later in the season after the rest of the upgrades I have planned. This thread will be a good reference point. Next up is repainting the top of the hulls and getting a new tramp to install.
    Steve

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.