Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

going sailing first time with new old boat  Bottom

• the boat is loaded and strapped on the trailer, the lights work and I have been over the boat h18 1981 tequila sunrise, inspecting and cleaning. bought some spare parts and fittings, new main sheet,,just gota find a shorty wet suit or something like that and I am going to take her sailing. camping at Glimmerglass State park this weekend so will sail on Otseco Lake,right outside Cooperstown NY.
    Hopefully every thing will shake out okay, may be a little learning curve on the h18. havent sailed in 15 years since the old dart 18 . I cant seem to fit into the old wet suit and spray jacket I wonder why? Didnt get to the buffing out of oxidation so boat may stil look a little ratty but will take some pictures and post next week...
    Anyone in area that wants to sail bring boat and we will see you on the lake or catch us at the campsite, as long as the governor lets them keep it open...
    Full report on Monday Everyone have a safe and thankfull memorial day and weekend,,,
    Thankyou to any veterans out there, thank you for your service!!!!!
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • ~ Hi Ted ~ Good luck to ya & sail safe. I'am going to get my 2 cats in this weekend. Were thinkin about takin the jet-boat somewhere, but if to choppy for that, we'll go sailin.
    The jet-boat is fun but it doesn't like choppy waters. I got my new & expensive camera wet...now I gotta send it in, Oh well~~ SNIT happens~~ Hey glad to help ya anytime!!!

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Your welcome Ted ~~ Vietnam Vet ~~ 69-71 icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • wELL i DO NOT HAVE A TERIFYING STORY ONLY THAT WE HAD A BLAST.... THE CAMPSITE HAD NO PLACE TO LAUNCH BUT THE RANGER SAID WE COULD GO WHERE THEY LAUNCH CARTOP BOATS, AND AS LONG AS WE DIDNT LAUNCH THE BOAT OFF THE TRAILER BUT SET IT ON THE GROUND FIRST WE WOULD BE OKAY, REMOVE THE MAST AND PADDLE HULL OUT RIVER TO THE BEACH, THEN STEP MAST AND HOIST SAILS AND OTHER RIGING. THEN OFF WE GO WIND ABOUT 10 -15 AND NOT STEADY BUT GUSTY. AFTER RERIGGING JIB CAUSE WE DIDNT GET ROLLER FURLER QUITE RIGHT, IT WAS GREAT.. sAILED FOR ABOUT TWO HOURS WITH MY DAUGHTER THEN WE BROUGHT IT BACK TO BEACH TO SE IF WE COULD RIGHT IT AFTER TIPPING . WELL WITH BOTH OF US STANDING ON SIDE OF BOAT PULLING ON TRAP WIRES WE COULDNT FLIP IT SO i LIFTED FROM CENTERBOARD AND OVER IT WENT. WE HAD NEW SOLORIGHT ROPE BUT WITH TWO OF US WE COULDNT SEEM TO RIGHT BOAT. MAST TIP STILL IN WATER. SO i WALKED THE SIDE STAY nd over she went. pulled up on beach for evening . Sunday was awesome day sun and winds 15-20 got started and took all of our family out on different runs, 3 or 4 at a time, even took a family cruise with my wife and our golden retreiver,anyway we sailed it as hard as we could, flew the hull abunch of times but couldnt get anyone out on the trapeze as wind was very unstable not a very good sailing lake. took it apart and paddled back up river loaded on triler, had almost a gallon of water in stbd. hull and maybe 2 cups water in port hull will have to look into that.
    What a blast... going to be a great summer, although I am a little sore today...
    will post pics in album

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • customcraftsmanwELL i DO NOT HAVE A TERIFYING STORY ONLY THAT WE HAD A BLAST.... THE CAMPSITE HAD NO PLACE TO LAUNCH BUT THE RANGER SAID WE COULD GO WHERE THEY LAUNCH CARTOP BOATS, AND AS LONG AS WE DIDNT LAUNCH THE BOAT OFF THE TRAILER BUT SET IT ON THE GROUND FIRST WE WOULD BE OKAY, REMOVE THE MAST AND PADDLE HULL OUT RIVER TO THE BEACH, THEN STEP MAST AND HOIST SAILS AND OTHER RIGING. THEN OFF WE GO WIND ABOUT 10 -15 AND NOT STEADY BUT GUSTY. AFTER RERIGGING JIB CAUSE WE DIDNT GET ROLLER FURLER QUITE RIGHT, IT WAS GREAT.. sAILED FOR ABOUT TWO HOURS WITH MY DAUGHTER THEN WE BROUGHT IT BACK TO BEACH TO SE IF WE COULD RIGHT IT AFTER TIPPING . WELL WITH BOTH OF US STANDING ON SIDE OF BOAT PULLING ON TRAP WIRES WE COULDNT FLIP IT SO i LIFTED FROM CENTERBOARD AND OVER IT WENT. WE HAD NEW SOLORIGHT ROPE BUT WITH TWO OF US WE COULDNT SEEM TO RIGHT BOAT. MAST TIP STILL IN WATER. SO i WALKED THE SIDE STAY nd over she went. pulled up on beach for evening . Sunday was awesome day sun and winds 15-20 got started and took all of our family out on different runs, 3 or 4 at a time, even took a family cruise with my wife and our golden retreiver,anyway we sailed it as hard as we could, flew the hull abunch of times but couldnt get anyone out on the trapeze as wind was very unstable not a very good sailing lake. took it apart and paddled back up river loaded on triler, had almost a gallon of water in stbd. hull and maybe 2 cups water in port hull will have to look into that.
    What a blast... going to be a great summer, although I am a little sore today...
    will post pics in album

Hey Ted,

Glad to hear all went well.We had an awsome Sunday on Schroon Lake. Late in the day we were sailing hard and
    buried the low hull to the crossbar. My sailing partner
    and his wife went over the front as the boat started to
    pitchpole. As they unweighted the boat, it settled back
    down and left me alone on the boat in high winds and jammed
    mainsheet. I was able to free the sheet and work my way back to them. We all had wetsuits on. Overall it was quite
    the experience. We are unable to right our H18 Magnum with
    just two of us. We are not very heavy. We bought a righting
    bag but have not tried it yet. Thought we were going to
    need it Sunday.
    Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.