Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best cord for N5.8na furling drum?  Bottom

• All,

Finally begining to focus on sailing again and as usual am behind the 8 ball. (Not that it looks anything like summer in Chi right now!) I need to get rid of the crap string that came with the furling kit. Any suggestions? I'm hell bent on installing this spring after getting the wrong forestay last year and aborting.
  • i use the 3mm robline contol line. its 2mm dyneema with a 3mm jacket. the dyneema will prevent it from breaking, the jacket grabs the cleat (i have a larger harken cleat on my beam)

it works fine for the jib, but not working anymore for my spin tack line. it keeps buring up the cleat and releasing my spin tack at the worst time... i have to switch to a bigger line, or a spinlock to fix this. It apparently also doenst work well as a halyard on Day Sailors as my repair guy blamed me after his sail kept falling down in a race. he switched to a $2.00 horn cleat to fix that issue.
  • Larry,

I replaced my furler line this winter also. One recommendation is make it a unique color. Can't remember how many times in the past I have told someone new to let the jib furler out as we take off from the beach, or go furl the jib, and they not know what line it is. Now I can say, "go release the red line" and they should be able to follow that instruction. And it is the only red line on my tramp. I got the 3mm robline control line, looks like it will work nicely but haven't used it yet.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteI got the 3mm robline control line, looks like it will work nicely but haven't used it yet.

Scott/Andrew,

How may feet of rope did you buy? Thanks

Larry
  • QuoteHow may feet of rope did you buy? Thanks
    Larry

hmmmm dont recall but i would guess around 23' and trim the extra?
    our exact amounts may differ as our beams may be different distance, also our jibs may be different sized (different amount of turns)

one thing i did recently was purchase about 35' of cheap cheap cheap 3mm line (identical to whats in blinds) to use as a measuring line for my new spin tack line and any other thing i need to measure. it cost about $4 total

• I would have to check tonight. I "think" I measured my old and then bought an extra 5 feet or so, but 25' sounds about right. I plan to trim the extra off and use it to secure my jib halyard, and as a buffer incase I couldn't read the tape measure.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I think I'll buy 35' just to be on the save side!
  • Good idea. The 3mm line could come in handy for various other things as well. I actually found the best prices and shipping from West Marine. Some may not agree, but for the lines I needed they were the best price I could find online from one place.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinleyGood idea. The 3mm line could come in handy for various other things as well. I actually found the best prices and shipping from West Marine. Some may not agree, but for the lines I needed they were the best price I could find online from one place.

I use that line also for my:
    jib
    spin tack line (not working well there because i am burning up my cleats)
    secure my front tramp to the cat
    secure my regular tramp to the rear beam)
    my friend uses it to tie his forestay to the Portuguese turnstile (ring). I use 5mm
    on my wench when i crank my boat on my trailer (i know typo :p)

check out NewJsi.com, they have the cheapest lines i have found anywhere (and i have buddies who work there)

edited by: andrewscott, May 11, 2010 - 04:59 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.