Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 Rebirth  Bottom

• Hello guys, I have been a follower of the site long before I joined. I have a 84 Prindle 18 that we are fixing back up to its glory days. We have repaired some small soft spots on the back starboard deck be hind the trampeline. And just forward of the crossbar near the bottom of the starboard hull. We are looking to gelcoat the whole boat. It looks like it has never had a day of care before we got it. I just don't have an idea of where to get the gelcoat. Does any one know of a store in the Dallas, area that will carry it other then West Marine. Last time we where in the local sail shop (Mariner Sails) they had a run on epoxy and hardener. I am just afraid that they will be out of gelcoat also.
  • youre a perfect candidate for paint...there are several long running threads on the this site on the topic and the gist of it is that re-gelcoating the whole boat is not vary practical. i just went through this recently and ended up painting, turned out great, looks brand new. check out my album in the members albums titled prindle 16 hull paint and repair and search those threads. there is a ton of info in them.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks contrast. We have taken this time while the boat is all different ways sideways upside down and what not to take some epoxy and help fill in some of the damage of careless beaching and trailer loading in the hulls. We have a some what white hull with lots of thick brown epoxy on it. Kind of looks like we are trying to cover the boat in mud. But it looks like our local English color won't order DuPont gelcoat for us unless we need a full case. So we are looking in to other options now. I have seen a lot of theses threads just never popped in.
  • ~~~ Coastrat & I painted our cats, and it sounds like (for the work you've done) "paint it".. I have a few things in the "tech help gallery" look for the name "Paul"
    Good luck and keep us informed.... icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • popeyez is the man, he has painted 2 handfuls and was a great help to me. sprayin gel-coat requires some speciality equipment($$$$) and a fair amount of experience, painting is a lot more friendly. gel-coat scratches and wares off of keels also. i laid another layer of glass cloth over keels and built up resin before painting. if you get in the paint business, we can help, but gel-coat, i couldn't ante up for that one...keep in touch!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks for the info guys. I will post more once we get the boat put back together. Like how you change the forestay over to a Hobie style and dump the turnbuckle. We also have re enforced the mast step plate. And making a better goose-neck for the boom. Also how to make a patron or single barrel top in to a hot stick cap. Little things add up when it comes time to sailing.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.