Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast floatation for Nacra 5.7  Bottom

• In reading some of the posts about the Nacra 5.7, I'm getting a little anxious about righting this boat after my inevitable first tip over. Is there some mods that I should be doing before my first trip? Is it possible to foam the whole mast?
  • Initially foam might seem like a good idea, but foam will soak up water in time to treble mast weight, not good. Better to seal mast creating a sealed tube that will float, viola! floatation. Use silicone sealant and seal every rivit, every joint at mast head and mast base, then take mast down to pond and float on water to check for leaks, re-seal if necessary. Now go do some research on righting equipment, there are 2 types, a righting pole that stores under tramp and pivots out when needed and allows sailor to use principal of leverage to right cat and then there's a bag system that uses the extra weight of water to add to the sailors weight to right cat.

Whichever system you choose, you will still have to practise righting technique by taking fully rigged cat down to lake, capsize cat in shallows and then use equipment to right the cat. This will help reduce any/all unknowns which add to the stress/fear factor.

Go to www.murrays.com and check out some of their equipment to see whats available.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Don't sweat it too much! If you have 2 people it likely won't be a problem. Seal your mast and look at the power righting techniques in the Murray's catalogue and Rick White's book.

I was really worried when I got my 5.2, but when I did flip it the first time the boat came up without much effort with only myself. As long as you put the righting line over the top hull near the front beam it should come up pretty easy.

If you are really worried, get an inflatable boat fender and attach it to the top plate of your sail (cheap mast float). It will provide some extra floatation for righting where you need it.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • QuoteIs there some mods that I should be doing before my first trip?

You could consider installing a Hobie Mast Bob, as I am. The Bob will prevent turtling and give you more time.
  • teather ball...works great...if your afeared...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I second the tetherball,$20 fix compared to the $200 Hobie fix. Same idea as my suggestion about the boat bumper, except I wasn't sure if tether balls were just a Canadian thing (kind of a useless game really).

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • napolian dynamite..."wanna play me?"

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Ah, I see said the blindman.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • if your gonna do a teatherball..., why not one of these
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:-WZCNHHrTsWFfM:http://www.spacehoppersite.co.uk/space-hopper-elc-bounce-35cm.jpg

• i just saw Nacraman's avitar.. i think it would work too
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/images/avatar/pers_26236.jpeg
  • I didn't now those bouncy things still existed! Otherwise I may have suggested them. That water jug only looks a 'little' nicer than the hobie bob though. Not enough to really consider.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Ive got a hobie bob i would sell fairly cheap. PM me if you want it. A well sealed mast will work, the bob just adds flotation to the well sealed mast. Seal your mast then install bob and you should never have any problems! The only thing i would do with that water bottle is fill it with ice, rum, and coke and run a hose down to the tramp with a valve on it!
  • Turbo, That is RIDICULOUS~!!!!

the coke would go flat (up there with all that motion), the solution is to keep the soda down on deck and add it as needed
  • i like where this is going!!...we are on the verge of a revolution in cat cocktail convenience.. jug of rum on top of mast, mixes with coke 2 liter by boom, valve to big insulated "sippi cup" filled with ice that velcro attaches to trap harness with hose to mouth for hands free caboozeling...freeing tramp space for more cuties!...genious!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Hey, andrewscott, I was going to reply to the Hobie bob posts last night but couldn't get that picture to appear so I made it my avatar with the idea of writing tonight. My daughter and I were practicing righting my 5.0 one afternoon and after about a half dozen times the mast filled up and turtled. I thought the bob was a solution 'till I saw the price!!! Went to the local soft water dealership, picked up an empty 5 gal jug and used some aluminum strap to mount it.(Just used longer pins in the sheave holes) My fellow beach bums thought it was hilarious and started calling me the "Culligan man"! Anyway how did you get that picture on your post? By the way, the jug and aluminum came to about 15 bucks.

edited by: nacraman57, Apr 29, 2010 - 06:25 PM
  • Quotethe mast filled up and turtled.

you should try to seal it up 100%. i would go so far as to remove it from your cat and put it in the pool (or ocean) to find the leaks.

I have to say... it is funny to see... but i am sure it works.

QuoteAnyway how did you get that picture on your post?

right click, capture the image url... click on the image button (lower right of screen) enter url
  • JohnnyVan... anxious about righting this boat ...

1. seal the mast
    2. don't cleat the main sheet, hold it in your hand the entire time you sail. This will keep you from tipping over, until you can master righting the boat.
    3. sail with an able-bodied crew, when you tip it over, it's easier to right.
    4. practice righting when you don't have to do it, so you can do it, when you must do it.
    5. Now sail faster until you do tip over, then right it and sail even faster without tipping over.
    6. rinse & repeat.

Jim Casto
    NACRA5.7 #461 Austin TX
    (I seldom log in or post, sorry, but I do sail my 5.7 quite a lot, and race it sometimes.
    http://austinyachtclub.net/members/jimcasto/NACRA5.7/IMGP0316.jpg

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.