Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8  Bottom

• I just purchased a 1988 5.8. It's not a NA. I plan on sailing, not racing on Ontario Lake near Rochester, NY. I will be single handling it some of the time. The boat is in very good shape. The standing rigging is original and I'm considering replacing it. My question is would it be worth while to re rig her to the NA setup with the foil bridle and larger jib. I've seen used foils being parted out. I assume the forstay is longer. Is getting roller furling preferable. If changing setup really does not help sailing the boat I'm fine leaving it the way it is.

Thnaks,
    Guy
  • u should definatly not trust 22 year old rigging... good call to change it~!

I will leave the advice on upgrading to the Nacra pros.
  • What about the diamond stays?

Thanks,
  • I grew up sailing Lake Ontario around Prince Edward County and Kingston Ontario (All North and East shores of the lake). I don't know if the Rochester area gets the afternoon thermals, but a NA could be a lot of boat to handle under high wind conditions. The Kingston area gets the west wind that builds down the length of the lake + a thermal effect that makes for some great sailing.

The Lake is also known for having days when there is very little wind at all (and storms that appear out of nowhere). On these days the NA would be a great improvement over the standard 5.8. The bridle foil also reduces the stress on the hulls. Although I might opt for the standard 5.8 + chute. It all depends how big and strong your crew is.

If you are going to the trouble of replacing standing rigging, I would replace everything.
  • QuoteIf you are going to the trouble of replacing standing rigging, I would replace everything.

I agree, and $100 extra in diamond wires sure beats 1000 for a new mast
  • I wish I could get a new mast for $1000. The price of carbon fiber has pushed composite mast prices through the roof. I'm pretty sure taht if I break the mast the insurance company would write off the boat.
  • I have sailed both the nacra 5.8 and the 5.8NA, there is a difference, NA, the most difference is in reaching (more speed), the non NA will point higher (smaller jib). So it is a trade off. I think the standard 5.8 is a great boat as is a true performer. If you do decide to go NA you must also beef up the front cross bar. Performance catamarans sell the beam sleeves or inserts, they go on the inside of each end about 18 inches. They are just a length of front cross bar with a section cut out so it will slip inside of the crossbar. All NA have them.
  • rpiper138I wish I could get a new mast for $1000. The price of carbon fiber has pushed composite mast prices through the roof. I'm pretty sure taht if I break the mast the insurance company would write off the boat.

Interesting...

It wouldn't be class legal, but i know you can get an extrusion from a Spar shop for about 1000. We are HOPING to get the rates of carbon spars down to a reasonable price soon... I WANT A CARBON MAST... (and boom) (and rudders) (and maybe even a carbon cooler for my rum?)
  • Thanks, for all of the information. G
  • Andrew Scott I WANT A CARBON MAST

You would love it Andrew. There are so many advantages. The only real downside is the added cost and I hear that they aren't as durable if you drop them.

Try walking down the beach with a 30' aluminum mast on your shoulder. It gets old really fast.

I only have the mast (boomless rig). It does make righting easier, which probably means that the capsizing force of gravity is also reduced while sailing.

If I am forced to an extrusion spar, the choices get ugly. Do I work out so that I can carry it down the beach, or pig out so I can lift it out of the water?
  • haha... PIG OUT MAN! :)

a few years ago we hosted the Harken Cup at my beach. we watched a dozen seniors come in on their A-cats. we watched from about 3' away 2 men who had to be in their 70's lift the mast up and place it in front of their cat. Our jaws hit the sand. I watched more and finaly walked over and asked the man if i could feel how heavy the mast was. He said "sure but it will cost you $20,000, because after you feel it .. you will have to buy one" :)

I have since sailed an A-cat and have also carried a full carbon one (randy smyths used a-cat) up a beach with 2 other guys because the owner didnt have an anchor... we just picked the thing up (165 rigged) :)
  • If you go for the carbon mast be ready to dig into your wallet again for the new sails that it will need.
  • I would love an A-cat, but they are a little too fragile for me. The F17 keeps calling my name, but the no spin DPN rating is slower than my 5.5.

How tough is it to add a chute to a N5.5 uni?
  • rpiper138I would love an A-cat, but they are a little too fragile for me. The F17 keeps calling my name, but the no spin DPN rating is slower than my 5.5.

How tough is it to add a chute to a N5.5 uni?

Probably no harder than any other cat..(big PITA) but doable.
  • HULLFLYERIf you go for the carbon mast be ready to dig into your wallet again for the new sails that it will need.

actually i am currently flying a Tornado main that was cut for a carbon mast. From what Robbie Daniels told me, there is really very little difference, at least in the T sails.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.